Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #111
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
My grandmother had 5 children. One died early on but the other 4 she says she never nursed. It is so strange for me to talk to her because for me I assume that formula didn't come around till maybe the 60's and she had her last child (my mother) in 1957 (her first was around 1945). So when I am talking to her she is somewhat clueless as to the trials and tribulations I am going through (all normal).

I get the impression that the only person that breastfed for longer then a few weeks in my family was my cousin (who admittedly is a bit of a black sheep in the family).

Does anyone else have a grandmother or someone that they are close to that you would think would have breastfed but never did?

My grandmother says that with here first she gave her diluted (with water) milk. Can you imagine just giving a child cows milk under a year?
OP your signature is amazing

Advertisement

Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #112
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom05 View Post
OP your signature is amazing
Thank you! I recently changed my siggy to reflect me. Today is actually a big day for us. My son is 5 months 5 days today. Needless to say it is much more of a happy day today then it was for our dd.

Switching gears - I am shocked by the response to this thread. I thought for sure that my grandmother was just odd. I mean this last Christmas she was at my house and she thought I was odd for not wearing makeup. I have never liked makeup and to me I don't see the need. Besides my son loves to give me kisses and the last thing I want him to do is eat makeup. Anyway I asked my grandmother when she started wearing it and she said something like 13. No wonder the story of "The Graduate" is in my family! (My grandfather dated my great grandmother, who was divorced, before he dated my grandmother.)
Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #113
SaraC
Registered Users

Both of my grandmas nursed their babies. My dad's mom had 15 kids and nursed all of them until they were 2. He told me that the baby slept with his parents until the next one came along(around 2) and then they would move to a siblings room to sleep. They were poor so maybe that had something to do with it but I am glad she did it.

My mom's mom nursed all of her babies until my mom was born. She had 10 kids up until then and nursed all of them. My mom was a preemie and couldn't/wouldn't nurse so she got the formula mix. She did nurse the 3 she had after my mom but I am not sure for how long.

My mom did not nurse my brother or me at all. It just wasn't a priority. My DH's mom nursed all of hers(5) except DH for over a year each. He was Lactose Intolerant and the Dr told her to put him on cow's milk His grandmother nursed all of hers mainly due to being poor but at least they got some nursing.

I am the only one of my generation on my mom's side to nurse for more than a few days. I have lots of cousins who have children and it makes me sad to think I am the only one nursing. I have nursed all of ours(3 girls) for over a year each and will nurse our newest one (due 3/17/09) as well. All of my DH's sisters nursed for a least a little while.
SaraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #114
CSoddu
Registered Users

My Mood:

YES! I just found this out the other day while having lunch at her house. My dad's mom had 4 children, my dad being the youngest (who is 49). I also assumed with my older aunts, formula wasn't around and she was explaining some sort of Carnation mix you could purchase for babies. I was shocked. I always assumed she had breastfed my dad and his 3 sisters!
CSoddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #115
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither one of my grandmothers did. As a pp mentioned, it was a societal thing. They had money, and nursing babies was for the "help". My parents were fed the evaporated milk/water/sugar combo (aka formula).

When my mom had my oldest brother in 1976 it was still looked down upon. She had to fight to get him brought into her room to BF him. I'm not sure why she was so intent on nursing, but she nursed all four of her babies successfully for a total of ~7 years of BFing. I weaned the latest at 22 months.

I know that of my extended family, I have nursed waaaaay longer than anyone else. My parents and family are all massively supportive of BFing. In fact, I got grief when I introduced the sippy with milk at age 1!! haha! No pressure to wean here. Totally the opposite!

My MIL nursed and was delighted to know I was BFing DS. I think it helped my DH understand my desire to BF, knowing that he was BF'ed as well. She nursed all of her babies for exactly 1 year each.
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #116
Pamelala
Registered Users

My Mood:

Neither of my gma's breastfed! Apparently my moms mom tried but was unable due to supply issues (similar to me) and my dads mom was just too ..well..don't get me started. I know my mom was raised on karo syrup and PET milk
My aunt was also not able to do it with either of her kids due to supply issues
eta: my mama bf'ed me for 22 months till I self weened

Last edited by Pamelala; 03-04-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot something!
Pamelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #117
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read every response....what interesting stories you all have!!! It makes me sad to read so many references to men who wouldn't "let" their wives BF their children. I just can't understand where they were coming from at all.

I wish I knew more about my grandmothers' experiences. I'm pretty sure my Nana BF her two older sons (inc. my dad) but she probably smoked the whole time. My dad has terrible teeth. No idea about the other g'ma but if she did she was probably drinking alcohol and smoking, also. I kinda hope her two daughters (inc. my mom) were fed something else!

My mom (who died when I was 16) always said she went against the norm to BF my brother and me. She said she gave us her antibodies for poison ivy, etc. and I know she was proud of that. However, now that I have intimate knowledge of how it all works, I'm pretty sure she meant she breastfed us for maybe 6 weeks each. She got pregnant with my brother a couple of months after I was born in 1975. Her sister bf her older child but got an infection and was told to stop BF 'cause of the meds. She didn't try with her second child and now she is the least supportive of my BF--asking me when dd was six months old when I was going to give her "real milk" and wasn't I done with that already???

Dh's mom bf him until he was a year old and has been extremely supportive of me. Dh's grandmother bf her two 'cause that was all she had to give them.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #118
ajv
Registered Users
seller

my grandmother never breastfed. they had some concoction they made out of karo syrup, condensed milk, oil...who knows, that and boiling the bottles...my mother made the same formula (a recipe given to her by her doctor)...i told my sister once, how do you convince a woman with breasts to do all this???I am by far the only extended breastfeeder in the family, tho i had an aunt married to an african who insisted she breastfeed for one year--good for him.
ajv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #119
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This thread has got into my head! The other day I had a dream that I went to help my cousin move and I left Max behind with my mother and grandmother. Well I forgot to tell them where I had my frozen breastmilk and I called them up and they said that they gave him this condensed milk stuff. I flipped out in my dream and I woke up mad. I may have to tell my mother, next time I talk to her, that she isn't allowed to feed my son any milk type products unless I give the go ahead.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #120
btlbabe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom's mom tried to nurse mom but she says she couldn't keep mom awake to feed her... So I wonder if formula keeps babies awake? She said she tried to nurse my uncle but after not much time she started him on formula and rice cereal. He demanded too much.

My Dad's mom had no choice... they were dirt poor and couldn't afford formula... post world war 2 Germany was tough!

My mom didn't even attempt it, but that's pretty common among folks my age.

My great grandmother... she was awesome. She BF'd her 3kids. And the neighbor's kids. Even when she was nursing TWINS.

Most likely I'm the lengthiest nurser... my daughter is 2 and still going at least once a day. She even lasted through my pregnancy... and she's so happy she held out now that I have so much milk again! I gotta say, it's nice to have a natural pump for those times when baby just won't take enough to reduce the engorgement!
btlbabe is offline   Reply With Quote