Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Easy, cheap roast chicken??

Quote:
This is my absolute favorite way to do a roasting chicken. The recipe is for the crock pot, but if you don't have one you can do it in the oven @ 250 degrees for 5 hours.
It's sooo good and tender, but ridiculously easy.

I made this tonight and it is FABULOUS!!!! DH is

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad that you guys liked it!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
zachabbycole
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRachel View Post
This is my absolute favorite way to do a roasting chicken. The recipe is for the crock pot, but if you don't have one you can do it in the oven @ 250 degrees for 5 hours.
It's sooo good and tender, but ridiculously easy.
I also made our chicken this way and it was awesome. It will be the only way I ever cook a chicken from now on. My Dh was and jokingly said "after 12 years of marriage you can finally cook a chicken".
Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's my chicken:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Rinse the chicken well and put it in a bowl big enough that the wings and legs don't hang over the sides (this will result in it sitting in its juice so the meat will be nice and moist and make great gravy). Then I oil the chicken with high-oleic sunflower oil, then sprinkle with the following spices in this order:

Salt: slightly coarse grain, but not the huge stuff - I usually put some coarse sea salt in my mortar and pestle and break it up a little bit. It ends up much bigger than the powdered salt you buy in the store but about 1/4 of the size of your average coarse salt. I keep adding salt until the chicken is visibly coated. Coarse salt will pull moisture better than fine salt.

Crushed Rosemary: Right now I'm using whole rosemary so I just crush it in with the salt, it works either way.

Thyme: To fill in the empty spaces left between the coarse salt and the crushed rosemary. No skin should be visible after this step.

Make sure the oven is preheated. Cook chicken 2 hours (I don't bother varying this for weight, its always done in 2 hours).

Once we're done picking it I save the bones to make bone broth (I boil the bones for several hours in a huge pot). It is great for making rice (use broth instead of water), quick gravy (just thicken and spice), or an amazing soup base. Sometimes I'll freeze the bones for a later date since I don't always make stock right away.
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put a whole chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle seasoning salt all over the top. That's it. Always good and super easy! I've never made one in my oven because this is so much simpler.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote