Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy weaning...so unsure about it all

I have nursed for 19 months and was thinking around 15 months that I was about ready to taper off. We have and now I only nurse 2-3 times a day at most. We are kinda stuck at this point and I am loosing my nerve to push it. My son loves it and I really don't mind doing it at all. I mean I know I will even miss it once he is done. I just have my doubts that he will ever self wean. Are you sure they do that? Plus he is 90th percentile and looks like a big boy, so the judgmental stuff from other is lame...but mostly I don't care about that really. My hubby would have me nurse forever. I thought I wanted to wean, but once I started to feel like I was forcing him I began to wonder why I was doing it. The more I read, the more I think I should let him be! How did you wean and when?

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: weaning...so unsure about it all

Mama it has to feel right for both you and the baby. I was sad the first day, but I felt like a weight had been lifted from me on the second day and knew it was the right choice. If you're doubing it going in, don't. What will it hurt to wait?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you know you'll miss it, just wait! They will wean when they are ready =)
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my boys weaned themselves. Most kids won't self wean before age 2yrs (it happens but it isn't common) but sometime between 3-4yrs even the most attached kids typically wean. I do know a woman with a special needs child who nursed him to sleep till he was over 6. Kearnan weaned himself at 2.5yrs when I was pregnant. Tharen just weaned at about 38months. He just quit asking for it. So really if you and he both still want to nurse, there is no reason to force it. WHO does recomend nursing till at least 2yrs and for as long as mutually desired after that.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote