Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Handwashing.. food safety

in the kitchen

My MIL is staying with us for a few months (she is visiting from Austalia, but originally from Italy). we have had some food safety issues such as feeding the kids pink turkey patties, pork chops that are not fully cooks, wanting to serve leftovers 7+ days, not refrigerating things as they should.. etc. I have gotten to the point where I felt only eating pasta would be safe for the kids, lol. Well, a few days ago my dd told me she doesn't like to eat her Nona's food because she noticed she doesn't wash her hands before cooking. That was something I had not really noticed.. so I started noticing.. and SHE WAS RIGHTSo.. how would you deal with this? My DH is not up to saying anything to his mom...and I don't know that I have the guts to! the thing is she uses her fingers alot when cooking, like tossing salad, or when preparing DH's breakfast. She cuts over the pan and doesn't really use a cutting board. Today, I cut the onions for her so, there wasn't any contact with the food directly, lol.. but I can't diffuse it all the time!! Am I being to anal and should I just let it go? it is only for another month in a half? I am giving birth in a few weeks and won't be able to always monitor!

TIA!

Advertisement

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Handwashing.. food safety

Yuck! I would be icked out too!

Maybe you could mention something about in relation to your unborn baby. How infection such as salmonella can be even more hazardous to the fetus than you if you were to become ill. Or something about the kids not being able to handle the bacteria. Whichever you feel would hit home with her more.

Touchy subject, I know. Good luck mama!

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
Yuck! I would be icked out too!

Maybe you could mention something about in relation to your unborn baby. How infection such as salmonella can be even more hazardous to the fetus than you if you were to become ill. Or something about the kids not being able to handle the bacteria. Whichever you feel would hit home with her more.

Touchy subject, I know. Good luck mama!
thanks, mama! We have actually addressed the issue with the meat. I just feel so bad because it seems once one thing is dealt with another comes up! lol

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With the handwashing, you could point out hepatitis as another very serious issue for you and the children. It is very easily spread from one person to another b/c of poor hygiene and food preparation. She could have come in contact with something contaminated and easily be passing it on to your family without knowing. Proper hand washing is key.
Hep is just an example, there are so many illnesses out there that spread around without ever showing a sign that they are present. E-coli is another one that could spread easily b/c of lack of hand-washing.

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote