Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #31
Registered Users
Re: SAHM's questions on splitting household responsibilities

My DH owns his own business, so he often works more than the average 9-5. In fact, he works most days a week, and many evenings, but is able to take time off when he wants to and has a flexible schedule, so it is worth it. I used to be a full time grad student making a little money (he viewed it as my job) and just stopped doing that when our son arrived. DH doesn't really think of things in terms of what I'm responsible for. But I take care of most of the household choirs, the cooking, laundry, and taking care of baby. DH takes out the trash, maintains the house, feeds our birds, and takes care of the cars. However, whenever i ask him to help out with specific things, he will gladly help. So he often ends up doing dishes, running the vacuum, and sometimes cooking if my hands are full. He's fine with that because he recognizes that taking care of our newborn is often a full time job in itself.

Oh yeah, and he gives me a day off when i want it as he believes I'm entitled to a little "free time" too because my mommy job shouldn't be 24/7 (even though I'm still mommy on my time off).

Amanda, wife to an amazing DH , and SAHM mama to 2 parakeet babies, our New Years Day Baby J , and my Mama's Baby C
MCmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #32
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
My Mood:
Re: SAHM's questions on splitting household responsibilities

I do pretty much everything around the house, indoors and outdoors and we have a pool as well, so that's another big thing I keep up, but I take pride in everything I do.

I don't expect my DH to do anything but clean up after himself (laundry in the laundry room, dishes in the sink etc) He works 50+ hours a week and is a awesome dad so I am ok with him spending his time home with the kids and I.
I really don't do much on the days that he is here but cook meals and clean up the mess and laundry at night.

My biggest complaint right now is getting him to change DS. He won't, he's afraid of cloth (even though I've been doing it for a year now?) and he'll call me from downstairs to come change DS. It's pretty annoying esp. if I'm busy doing something else. So I'm a thorn in his butt right now about that, we'll have 2 in diapers soon and I'll need his help. That or DS will be running around naked

Other than that, I don't complain about anything and either does he. We each do our part to make the family work, I am here when my older kids get home, and I am here to raise our younger kids, and he knows that in itself is a job, most of the time harder than his.
Won't be me @ if we were in the middle of anything.
Mother Lover is offline   Reply With Quote