Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
a couple of questions...

I never thought I would do EC, I have considered it and now am wondering what to do. DD is 6 months old and five days ago i was laying next to her in bed nursing her and thought if I just toook her to the potty since I know when she's going to go it might work. well I did and she had a bowel movement, since then she's gone both pee and had bm's on the toilet, it's a pain holding her there but she goes for me. half the times I have taken her she's gone.
what should I do? I honestly don't know if i want to do EC, but is it giving mixed signals if i only take her after feedings and not every 30 minutes or whatever?

any thoughts or suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: a couple of questions...

Nope - the saying goes "Some EC is better than no EC." I think it's beneficial no matter how much you do it. When we started I only wanted to catch BM because they were SOOOO obvious I felt bad sitting there watching her go in her diaper just to change her when she finished. and from that point on I got totally addicted! So think of it this way - Any amount you feel like doing is going to benefit her! And if you don't want to do it, don't make yourself. The key (I think!) to EC is keeping it low pressure and fun.

As far as it being a pain to hold her, maybe try a little potty that she can sit on herself. There's some at Ikea for $3 and the BBLP is about $10. www.theecstore.com There's a clear version called Babywunder that sells for about $20 (read up on the benefits of clear, here - http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=672954 ) Some babies sit longer if they have toys or a book. Or sing songs while they go, etc.

My fav book is The Diaper Free Baby by Christine Gros-Loh. It's a must-read! http://www.thediaperfreebaby.com/

Feel free to ask more questions!

eta: I didn't want to EC either when I first heard of it. I thought "There is NO way I could/would do that!" Famous last words - I'm so hooked its ridiculous!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!

Last edited by Sakari; 03-11-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you so so much! this is very informative thank yoU!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BBLP is baby bijorn right?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh only in stores for the ikea thanks I will look through these links!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Sakari
Registered Users

You're welcome! I'm glad you're finding it helpful! Yep - bblp = Baby Bjorn Little Potty. here's a more specific link http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?...roducts_id=390

eta: oops, looks like I was wrong on the prices $12 from the EC store for the bblp. and $23 for the Babywunder. You can probably find the bblp on amazon.com for 10 tho. However, I'm an advocate of buying (when it makes sense) from the independent stores. oh, http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/shop/ has them too. as well as diapers.com and drugstore.com I don't know who has the best price, I just did a swagbucks search and came up with all these!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!

Last edited by Sakari; 03-11-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As the previous mama said - do as much or as little as you feel like doing. I've been ec-ing my DD since she was two weeks old, when we had a "I am not going to go in the potty stint for a week" my DH and I were slightly baffled at how to clean a dirty diaper LOL because I couldn't deal with the mess I got irritated and just stopped putting her in diapers. I don't think I could have done that from the beginning - it's a much of a process for the parents as it is for the LO - good luck mama!