View Poll Results: What would you do?
Homeschool the boys again next year, then send them to school the following year. 22 64.71%
Send the boys to school, if you do switch school districts they will adjust just fine. 10 29.41%
Send them to school but if you switch school districts just drive them to their old school. 2 5.88%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need some advice.

We have homeschooled Will since he was in K - so for 2 yrs now. Next year we were planning on putting him and Aiden in school (Aiden will start K next year) but now Im not sure if that is such a good idea. We are planning to buy a house around Oct/Nov and since we aren't sure where we will find a house we like they may end up switching school districts at the beginning/middle of the school year. The reason we were going to put them in school is because probably the following year (2011-2012 school year) I would be doing student teaching sometime during that school year and finding daycare for 4 kids would be tough (plus homeschooling them while Im basically working full time would be tough also!) Now Im not so sure this is the right choice. I just don't know what to do now. If we wait till the following year all three of the will be in school (Will 3rd, Aiden 1st and Andrew K). What do you think you would do in this situation - Im setting up a poll.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
mommysweird
Registered Users

Re: Need some advice.

I selected homeschool them for one more year. K is such fun year and your DS that will be in K next year will get the benefit of having the fun school and only like 1 hour of teaching time with just a little more time to be a kid. I'm a little biased to homeschool, though because I'm a homeschooling mom. But it's not for everyone and for some it's only right for a season. For us, it wasn't right to send my 6 yo ACTIVE DS to school all day at the K level. He would have constantly come home with notes from the teacher about being able to sit still. I say keep them at home as long as you can. They grow up SO fast!

But my opinion is just that, an opinion. You ultimately have to do what's right for your family at this time in your life.

Currently ISO HP MF Inserts and my sanity . . . I seem to have lost it somewhere . . .
mommysweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
~LiLaC~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I chose homeschool one more year. It sounds like it will be best for your situation. Also, my family moved when I was in between K and 1st grade and it was really tough for me. My mom fought to keep me in the same elementary school, but I lost a lot of my friends from my old neighborhood and the kids I used to see on the school bus. I think with the move it might be an easier transition for your kiddos if you HS one more year.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
BoysMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I chose send them to school. If you are going to student teach and deal with buying a house AND moving you are going to have a lot of stress. A stressed Mommy leads to stressed children. Stressed children=problems. Let them go to public school. They'll adjust, make new friends and get out of the house for awhile. If they were home the boxes etc would be everywhere, let them take a break from the move and be kids.
My family moved often when I was little, I saw it as an adventure and more friends
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
spurmar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chose homeschool for 1 more year. The switch to public school will be dramatic enough without having to switch schools. The problem is if you can logistically do this with your schedule. Daycare is insane. I am a SAHM because financially it makes more since for us. What ever you have to do trust in yourself, and your family to make it through. Make sure to be there to listen and support your children through all these transitions in your lives.
spurmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout18 View Post
The reason we were going to put them in school is because probably the following year (2011-2012 school year)
So am I understanding this right? You would be moving 2009-2010 and then not student teaching that year or the next then teaching 2011-2012. If I am correct then I would definitely say homeschool thru the move. Barely adjusting to the new school and then moving to a new school would be too much unless they are very very outgoing.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

they start school in sept and your looking to move oct nov i would start to look now. Look so you get an idea of where you want to be You dont want to start them in one school for a month or two then switch them. look into school districts too.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted to put them in school and if you need to switch, they will adjust.
We had Nick in school K-2 at a private school. Attempted to h/s this year but didnt go well, so we put them both in the public school here (11 miles from the private school, 2 diff. districts) and they did just fine.
We have now decided that in Aug, they will return to the private school, and their friends from that school are thrilled!