Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
hbhall_82
Registered Users

Pockets vs Trainers?

I'm new to CDing and very new to ECing. (about 1 month CD, and 1 wk EC)

I was wondering...what are the differences between using pockets/aio versus training pants?

Just bought about 16 pocket/aio dipes and don't want to give them up so quickly. Could I use the pocket without an insert to make it a trainer?

My DS is only 6 months old so weren't not yet to the point of needing trainers, just wondering.

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

hbhall_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
cecil
Registered Users

Re: Pockets vs Trainers?

You can use whatever you have I started with an old stash of FBs and just pulled the liner and they were fine. Most ECers use some sort of cloth diaper in the age range you are at just because no one wants to show up at the grocery store with a soaked carseat. That said there are drawbacks to certain types of CDs, mostly that they are designed to stay on where as you probably want to get yours on and off quickly and a lot. If you want to get off cheap and still have something EC specific to make your life easy around the house I would reccomend getting a prefold belt or two and some prefolds. You slide the belt (which looks like a giant scrunchie) around baby's waist and tuck a folded prefold or flat into the front and back so it goes between his legs. that should hold one pee and be easy for you. You can pair that with no pants, leg warmers or baby chaps. Another thing is that unless you bought one size diapers your ds will probably grow out of what you have eventually and then you can make a change if you find you need to. Right now there are products out there just for EC but a lot of us are still getting by with adapted cloth diapers so I would feel very comfortable with where you are at. Welcome to EC!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

Yeah! I second everything cecil already said

and to add that I was in about the same spot as you - used sposies for the first month (ish) then CD, then around 3mo I found this forum and my life has been forever better! LOL ok, well, different anyway. I love EC! but - back on topic... I had gotten a bunch of BG AIO's and pockets. all OS. So, technically I'd be set for CD for years! But I've just been using them while we EC. I also use a belt and flats, we go without diapers at all, we wear just pants, it varies. Now I've started making my own little trainers

Use what you have and as you learn more and your EC style develops you can always adapt. The great thing about EC is that you don't NEED products. Use what you have! That being said, I love the products that are available and keep dreaming up new ones!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
hbhall_82
Registered Users

I have 20 infant prefolds that I bought before I got into the pockets. Would they be enough coverage with a belt? Or should I look into getting the premium (larger) size?
hbhall_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

My guess is that they'd be too small, but I'm not sure. We stopped using prefolds probly 5 months ago (when DD was 2-3 mo), so I don't exactly remember how big they were! sorry! But I do like the belt thing, we use ours with flats tho (since I gave the prefolds back to the mama who loaned them to me! that was before we found EC ...) HTH!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote