Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for parents of kids with ear tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed with boys View Post
2 of my boys have tubes (6 yrs and 19 months) neither of them wear plugs in their ears for baths....they wouldnt keep them in. So far so good and at our last appointment our dr said they looked fine.
I dont think I'll be having my boys in the pond or lake while they have the tubes in.....at a pool I'd probably have them put something over/and in their ears. I really like the ear-band it and plugs.
Jackie
What's the ear-band it?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #12
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great...thak you for all the responses , I feel MUCH better now. My ENT never explained it just said..."it is very important to not let any water get in his ears" I am going to call monday just to make an app. since he has only seen him once since he put the tubes in. His pedi checks his ears though for us too when we are there..so I am sure he is fine. thanks again!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #13
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no ear plugs here. Our ENT said the tubes are there so the ears drain. What washes in will wash out. He said baths/showers actually help clear wax that blocks the tubes. We can swim in our pool too. Just no lakes or swamps. We put in ear drops if he dunks his head in a bubble bath or other "questionable still water" but with running water like a shower or our own pool which has regulated chlorine levels its fine. My oldest had 2 sets of tubes, lasting a total of 6 years and NEVER used plugs and NEVER had an issue.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry but that isn't very good advice. Water can stay back there and cause an infection. You normally wouldn't have a problem, but the tubes give you a gateway to the inner ear. It can be nasty if they get a good infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
no ear plugs here. Our ENT said the tubes are there so the ears drain. What washes in will wash out. He said baths/showers actually help clear wax that blocks the tubes. We can swim in our pool too. Just no lakes or swamps. We put in ear drops if he dunks his head in a bubble bath or other "questionable still water" but with running water like a shower or our own pool which has regulated chlorine levels its fine. My oldest had 2 sets of tubes, lasting a total of 6 years and NEVER used plugs and NEVER had an issue.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
What's the ear-band it?

My youngest sister had lots of issues with her ears. She actually had two set of tubes. The ear-bandit kinda reminds you of something you would wear in the winter to keep them warm. It is made of neoprean. You take cotton ball and put petroleum jelly on it. Use it as a plug and then cover with the ear-bandit.

Here is what they look like.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earbanearret.html
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
jen317
Registered Users
seller

We just had tubes put in a 20 month old 1.5 weeks ago and the ENT said the plugs were only for dirty water like lakes or rivers. They said she wouldn't need them in the bath or pool. I don't know, but a little water during a rinse is probably OK.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #17
minnie_monster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 01-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #18
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
The tubes grow out in 6-12 months. So if a 18 month old get's tubes they don't still have then when they are say 4.
They don't always fall out. DS had them put in when he was 9 months old and had to have them taken out when he was 4. One fell out on its own and the other didn't.

We never put the plugs in his ears. We just tried to cover his ears with a washcloth somewhat when he wouldn't hold his head back in the bathtub to wash his hair.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinkowski View Post
They don't always fall out. DS had them put in when he was 9 months old and had to have them taken out when he was 4. One fell out on its own and the other didn't.
I was going to post something like this but you beat me

I agree with the pp... I've had tubes three times. The first time they had to be removed, they never came out on there own. The second time both came out on their own, but the third time only one did... so it's definitely not unheard of for them to be there long term.

As for ear plugs, I never wore them while bathing. Yes for pool, no for baths... I wouldn't worry too much Mama, just watch him and see
Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I talked with the ENT and he said to have custom plugs made for him. Maybe my son has different tubes or something, but all I know is he told me again to NOT let ANY water get into there or a really bad infection could occur. So, that is what I am avoiding I am going to bring him to get custom ear tubes made. Thanks for all the help ladies, I really appreciate it!