Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:
Anyone NOT Have a 1st Bday Party for DC

DS will turn 1 in less than a month and the more I think about it the less I want to have any sort of a family party with gma, gpa, uncles, aunts, etc. I just want it to be the 4 of us and we can go do something together as a family. Is that being totally selfish on my part? I did it with DS1, but it was a fiasco as it always is with extended family around. My mom constantly tells me whose glass is empty or so and so hasn't eaten. I get really annoyed and frustrated and don't enjoy my child and that's all I want to do. Any suggestions? Comments?

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
thehorndoctor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone NOT Have a 1st Bday Party for DC

You are not selfish. It is alot of work to but a party together. You are the mother and if you think that not having a big party is what you want then it is fine. If family has a problem with that. Just tell them it is not open for discussion. I hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

All I can say is good luck. We're having the same deal--but just longer from now. We're just comprimising... especially with my mother insisting that DS "dive into his first birthday cake..."... umm.. hello... DS still is EBF and I really don't think I'm goign to be giving him real "birthday cake" just a few months from now... so I'm goign to be making a "cake"... just without a ton of sugar.

Good luck again.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
happysahm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
All I can say is good luck. We're having the same deal--but just longer from now. We're just comprimising... especially with my mother insisting that DS "dive into his first birthday cake..."... umm.. hello... DS still is EBF and I really don't think I'm goign to be giving him real "birthday cake" just a few months from now... so I'm goign to be making a "cake"... just without a ton of sugar.

Good luck again.

I was very accommodating the first time around. Let's just say I've learned from my mistakes, but I feel guilty and I know they will try to lay on the guilt trip. The way I see it is they already had all the firsts with thier kids and now it's my turn. I will show them pics...LOL
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
happysahm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehorndoctor View Post
You are not selfish. It is alot of work to but a party together. You are the mother and if you think that not having a big party is what you want then it is fine. If family has a problem with that. Just tell them it is not open for discussion. I hope this helps.
Yes it does, ty. I get tired of every major event always being about the gp's.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't throw a big party for my last DS' 1st b-day. He was born 11-26 so we had Thanksgiving and then Christmas quickly approaching so it was a scheduling nightmare! We just did something at home w/ a homemade cake and lots of loves and kisses. It took us 3 seperate tries to keep him up past dinner! LOL
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

for the 1st time ever we didnt do anything for a 1st birthday and it was NICE! my middle and younger ds share the same birthday so we all just to sushi and a movie
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Momofboys
Registered Users
seller

We did nothing for any of my ds' first birthdays!! I figure they are way too young to know what is going on and I would rather spend the time/money when they are old enough to enjoy it!
Momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Hitchkids
Registered Users

We usually don't bother with birthday parties for the kids other than just doing something as a family. It's much easier on everyone that way. Personally we have decided to save the big family parties for the important events in their lives: baptism, First Communion, that sort of thing. Besides, who do you not invite? And chances are one side doesn't get along with the other or something. Why spoil a kids' birthday with dealing with that junk. Since keeping birthdays as a family only thing (sometimes we'll invite a friend or two but that's it) birthday's have been a much more enjoyable experience for us.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you're selfish at all.. especially if having the family together would mean you couldn't enjoy ds's party with him.

For dd's 1st b-day we were camping at the lake and the whole family came out for the day... we didn't really get to enjoy dd and I think she might've been a bit overwhelmed by it all...

So no, I don't think it's selfish to want to have just a family day with just the 4 of you... you can always have the parents over for a visit the weekend after or before and not make it a big deal but just a visit near ds's b-dau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama22boys View Post
DS will turn 1 in less than a month and the more I think about it the less I want to have any sort of a family party with gma, gpa, uncles, aunts, etc. I just want it to be the 4 of us and we can go do something together as a family. Is that being totally selfish on my part? I did it with DS1, but it was a fiasco as it always is with extended family around. My mom constantly tells me whose glass is empty or so and so hasn't eaten. I get really annoyed and frustrated and don't enjoy my child and that's all I want to do. Any suggestions? Comments?

Last edited by snowbird25ca; 01-23-2007 at 02:57 PM.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote