Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
jenn_carney
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you have room for all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
Piece of cake!

We have eight children (seven living)... and 2.5 bedrooms. I say 2.5 because our bedroom is exactly big enough for a dresser, our bed, and a lamp table. With no room to walk on my side of the bed. It all works out!

We have actually CHOSEN this house (we rent) because it's out in the country and moved from a 4bdrm house in town.

Our table seats four. Um, yeah. It seats four and we purchased two bar stools that tuck beneath. That makes six. We have a Little Tykes table, that's two more kids. A high chair for the baby. DH is building us a big table with benches this summer out of recycled lumber, I'm SO excited, it will look fantastic in this big old farm kitchen.

All this to say, it's totally doable. The baby sleeps with us. Eventually she'll go up to the girl room. We do have big van. But I traded off my shiny new minivan three children ago for a big old 15 passenger. Lower payments and more room. When we did it at the dealership, WE actually got a check from them, lol.

You'll never, ever regret the trade-off of a bit less space for another little person. Ever. And, honestly, I think we Americans are the only ones who think we need THIS much space. I've seen one room huts hold more family members than I have and I didn't hear them say word one about space! Trust me, it'll work fine!
Your note is so comforting to me! We have 3 lo's with one more on the way in 11 weeks or so. Right now, we have moved all 3 kiddos (5 yo dd, 3 yo ds, and 20 month old ds) into the same room. We literally have 3 twin mattresses on the floor, right next to each other. It takes up the whole side of the room, from wall to wall! But the kids love it -- like one big bed. And that frees up the other bedroom to be a nursery for the soon to arrive baby. And then we have our bedroom. We have an eat-in kitchen with no dining room, and only one very tiny family room and the bathrooms. But we love the neighborhood, and we figure sharing a room has got to be good for kids, right?

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As already stated, you just make it work. We have 4 kiddos, 3 br in 1000 sq ft. My boys share a room and my girls will once youngest dd is out of our room. I am CONSTANTLY purging clothes and toys (getting ready to go do it again right now). I definately don't think there's anything wrong with kids having to share a room, maybe it will make them more prepared for sharing a room when they're married!
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
mommyfrog
Registered Users

We moved from a 1500 sf 4 bedroom (small) house to this big one. We never thought we would find a house this big in our price range. Our kids have always shared rooms until now, where most of them have their own room. It really was never a problem and we didn't think it would be when were looking for a house to buy. Kids adapt to the situation if you just make it a fact of life and don't act like it's a problem. We were looking for a 4-5 bedroom to buy when we had 6 kids. They would have shared and been just as happy as they are now.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
epernat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have four kids in a two bedroom ranch house. I admit it is hard especially as our plans for an addition were cancelled by a farm expansion plan. (I guess the cows always come first!) We have a bunk bed for two of them and a mattress on the floor for the two year old who always rolls out of bed. The baby is in a crib in our room. We also have another bunk bed that will go up when the baby needs a bed. Needless to say, we spend a LOT of time outside since inside is so cramped, but we enjoy our family so much! I am never bored, and there is usually someone doing something hilarious at any given minute! If you are laughing all the time it is hard to feel unhappy at the lack of space. For the car we have the older ones in the back since they are able to get in and buckle themselves. Also they can restrain the younger ones who want to get out of the car as soon as it stops. My biggest piece of advice is to PURGE toys and clothes! We have fewer toys now with four than we did when we only had dd and I am so much happier!
epernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

We have a 3 bedroom house with one on the way. My kids are 8 (dd), almost 3 (ds), and 18 mos (ds). The boys share a room and the baby will be with us until 6-12 mos. Then, we will have 2 twin beds for the boys and a crib for the baby all in that one room. My dd's room is too small to fit anything at all in, so most likely, she will continue to have her own room while the younger 3 share one.

We have a mini van and when the baby arrives, the 2 boys will probably get moved from captain seats to the back (both will still be in car seats), my dd will get to move from the back to a captain seat (she will be thrilled), and the baby will be in the other captain seat. That way dd can help with the new one while I drive (retrieving pacis, toys, entertaining...)

At some point, as they get bigger, we will move to a 4 bedroom house and 2 of them will still share a room.

I wish my 8 yr old had a sibling close to her age! That is the part I feel bad about- 3 baby siblings- all from 5.5-9yrs younger than her! But, she is excited about the new addition and really hopes for a girl.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by epernat View Post
We have four kids in a two bedroom ranch house. I admit it is hard especially as our plans for an addition were cancelled by a farm expansion plan. (I guess the cows always come first!) We have a bunk bed for two of them and a mattress on the floor for the two year old who always rolls out of bed. The baby is in a crib in our room. We also have another bunk bed that will go up when the baby needs a bed. Needless to say, we spend a LOT of time outside since inside is so cramped, but we enjoy our family so much! I am never bored, and there is usually someone doing something hilarious at any given minute! If you are laughing all the time it is hard to feel unhappy at the lack of space. For the car we have the older ones in the back since they are able to get in and buckle themselves. Also they can restrain the younger ones who want to get out of the car as soon as it stops. My biggest piece of advice is to PURGE toys and clothes! We have fewer toys now with four than we did when we only had dd and I am so much happier!
Does your 2 yr old climb up the bunks? I feel like I can't do bunkbeds until the youngest one staying in that room is at least 4-5. What do you think?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
naykeewabbits
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have four children in a three bedroom house. I have a 10 yr old step son that was used to being the only child forever and is very envious/jealous of my 4 year old and has always had some aggression issues anyhow and they each had their own room until the twins were 5 months old and we gave them the younger boys room. At first it was rough and the ten year old would go to school and tell on us that he had to share a room and that his little brother got everything and breaks his stuff... Hahaha they soo didn't care. But, now six months later the boys get along like brothers more than they ever have and I can honestly say it is one of the best things we ever did. ... Anyway, hubby and I get the master and the babies share a room. We drive a yukon xl and a chevy suburban. The two bigger boys in the third row, the twins in the center and us in front. Planty of room and still mountain, camping, friends come along friendly!!
naykeewabbits is offline   Reply With Quote