Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
RodentRanger
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Meal Idea(s) for a new mom

Advertisement

Last edited by RodentRanger; 02-21-2008 at 07:11 PM.
RodentRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Korbins Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a great and very thoughtful idea. No one did this for us when we brought our little one home...it would have been so nice.

What I did was made a bunch of meals in advance and froze them. I still do this. Homemade Veggie Soup, Peanut Soap, Homemade Chili, Beef Strongaff (minus the noodles), Spagatti sauce, taco meat, etc. Maybe something like that? That way they can just put it on the stove and warm it up.

For breakfast, this is my family's most favorite breakfast food and it freezes/heats up great!!! Heat it up in a toaster oven. Mouth is watering now. No need for syrup on these.

French Toast Sticks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 eggs
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices white bread -- cut into 4 strips-- each (I use regular sliced bread, cut in 4 squares like 2"x2" and Texas Toast, cut into 4 long strips like 1"x4". That's how I roll. LOL!!!)
3 tablespoons butter -- divided

In a shallow dish, beat together the eggs, sugar, milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon with a fork until well blended. Dip each bread strip into the egg mixture, coating completely. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook the bread strips a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden, adding more butter as needed Serve immediately or allow to cool, then cover and chill until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, reheat in the oven or toaster oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTE: Flash freeze on cookie sheet then store in freezer ziplock bag. (This means put it on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes and put it in the freezer. This makes it less likely to stick together in the bag when they completely freeze.)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we actually asked a friend of ours what they like to eat... turns out she doesn't eat red meat, he does, she is strictly chicken and fish, so we made some smaller meals for dad (who is theone in her house that does ALL the cleaning) to take to work.

I made: Chicken Slop (chicken casserole more on the mexican side)
Taco pockets (eggroll wrappers with taco filling that you bake in the oven)
Green Chili without beans, and with beans (because the baby was fussing over beans, but dad loved them)
Spaghetti Bake... YUMMY
Lasagna (spinach) and plain
and left her several recipies in a 3 ring binder with easy quick meals (as this is her first and I already had 3, and she didn't cook much before baby)
I also took 4 desserts...

I took everything frozen with directions to thaw and cook on them so they could decide in the morning what is for dinner, take it out, put in fridge throw in oven and they were all in disposable trays so they could toss the tray... they also recieved 2 huge packages of paper plates and plastic utinsels for the shower. LOL
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ditto on lasagna, it freezes and is great reheated. Lotsa ground beef, since DS was drinking like a mad man and I was starving
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
tinymama
Registered Users
seller

we had meals for two weeks from church but I really got tired of all the heavy casserole type things. my favorite was a simple quiche with homemade bread & jam, fresh veggies & dip, and wine (totally optional)
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote