Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What & how much is your 8 mo old eating (solids)?

Wow! My DD seems to be out of the ordinary then. Last night she ate 6 oz of baby food 1/2 jar of green beans and a full jar of banans and mixed berries. This was the first time she had eaten this much but will eat at least 1/2 jar at lunch and dinner (cereal with fruit for breakfast) plus she BF about 7 times a day!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
roocraw4d
Registered Users

My DD has been on breast milk (pumped). At 6 months I offered her cereal. She snarfed it down one day and then wouldn't eat it again. I offered her a few veggies and still nothing. So I waited until just after 7 months and tried again with meat from a jar. She liked veal, turkey and chicken. Then I started with whatever veggies I was making. I threw them in the Magic Bullet for her. She started with green beans, then asparagus, carrots, sweet potato, squash, peas. She didn't like avocado, but next time I have one I will offer it to her again. Banana wasn't a big hit, but she did eat a bit of it each day. I have since offered her rice and oatmeal cereal. She likes the oatmeal better than the rice.
She doesn't have any teeth yet. I haven't tried biscuits or goldfish. Does she need teeth for those?
I have tried the mesh feeder, but she isn't too crazy about it yet.
roocraw4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
gala
Registered Users

DD will be 9 months on 2/1, and she eats every puree I throw at her. She loves yogurt and devours bananas in the strainer-feeder. We just started teething biscuits, and she's only just figuring out that puffs are for eating not just playing. Occasionally I'll give her an apple slice to gnaw on (she's got half a tooth on the bottom), but she doesn't do much more than suck on it (plus I'm paranoid about her getting too big a chunk and choking so she doesn't usually have it for long).

We just started pureed meat in the jar (but beef only, since there are poultry allergies in the family). She's not too sure about more complicated textures, so we're just taking it easy. She doesn't get a whole lot of cereal, but I did grind up some oatmeal for her the other day (I don't think she was very impressed). For avocados, we mix them with formula to get the right consistency. (we've supplemented since the start, but she's primarily bf'd).

So she gets roughly 2 small jars (2oz each?) per day - one for breakfast and one at daycare, and occasionally some for dinner.

ETA: We started with sweet potatoes at around 5 months - she was practically launching herself at every bite I was taking, so I figured she was ready.
gala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #14
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Well my guy turned 9 mo on Monday, but he doesn't eat much still. He is mostly EBF. He wakes about three times at night, although I don't think it is out of hunger. I give him cheerios and I also give him the frozen mixed veggies and bananas cut up into small bites. This is jsut because he can't really eat what we are eating and he wants to. Well, at least he thinks he does. he really doesn't care for most htings. He loves bread, bananas and whole apples. THat is pretty much it!

The German baby cereal is really great!! It says at the top what age they can have it at. Like it will have an 8 for 8 months. And the pictures show what the cereal is, not to mention most of the stuff is nearly the same as english. She might want to try some of those out. Way better than the rice cereal gerber stuff you can buy on base!!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Ohh yeah my guy won't eat the cereal either!! He did at first, but now he won't!! Other than the ceareal though we don't do baby food. I haven't bought a single jar and won't!

Ohh and I have at least two boxes of german baby cereal we haven't used. I can APO it to hewr if she wants it. I will have hubby translate it prior to shipment too.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniehauser View Post
Ohh and I have at least two boxes of german baby cereal we haven't used. I can APO it to hewr if she wants it. I will have hubby translate it prior to shipment too.
You are so sweet! I have been emailing her responses from here and getting a little more info. For one, I didn't realize they have moved to Paris for the rest of their overseas stay. The markets are very overwhelming to her. She's hoping to go shopping with a "local" soon.

Her dd doesn't like texture. They are hoping to borrow a blender, not wanting to buy one for the short time they will be there (till May). She has a hand grinder. The other "issue" is tendency towards constipation. The baby is nursing great but clamoring for solids.

So, she's been grinding some of th fruit compotes (pear, prune, apple). The sweet potatoes were like $3 each, so that can't be a staple. She's worried about bananas constipating. They are doing barley and oatmeal cereal (avoiding rice for constipation). She can't find squash. She didn't like avacado the frist offering. Gagged on whole peas. Teethes on the end of a bagget (sp?).

I suggested canned pumpkin (if she can find it), hard boiled egg yolks, and yogurt.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!
mama_times5 is offline   Reply With Quote