Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #51
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is "Cry It Out"?

I don't think Crying it out is cruel, now I'm not saying they should be screaming in their room for hours till they fall asleep. My dd is "CIO" (in my definition, not screaming just whining) right now. as rocking and anything else I tried today wouldn't work. Sometimes she just needs time alone to fall asleep and I don't see anything wrong with that! Again she's not screaming just not happy. Some kids just need that to fall asleep, its easy to sit back and say no thats wrong you should go to them everytime they cry and don't let them cry themselves to sleep, but when you have a child who needs that to fall asleep as nothing else works, some times you gotta do it! Now letting them scream their heads off for a long time I would consider mean, I don't think it helps them go to sleep at that point cause they get too worked up.

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #52
A'smommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
Currently, we're trying to get DS sleepy enough to put him down in his crib, then let him sleep until he wakes (anywhere from 5 min.-3 hrs.). Once he starts crying/whining we'll evaluate they cry to see if it sounds urgent , if not, then we'll let him cry for about 3-5 min. Sometimes after 2 minutes he totally stops (maybe a bad dream?)! If his cry escalates or it lasts 5 minutes then we'll go in to the rescue. Next, we'll bring him to bed with us, repeat comfort measures (dipe, nurse, rock) until he drifts off again. Once he's in bed with us, I'll nurse him back to sleep whenever he wakes. I'll do this as much as possible throughout the night. I have a hard time calling this CIO but I guess to some people it would be.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of some of the people who say they would NEVER let their baby CIO.
What you're describing sounds like what we do here, and it works great for us. Not sure how old your little one is, but for my 21 m.o. DD this works great. The only difference I see is my DD sleeps in her own bed, which makes for a lot of middle-of-the-night walks when they're little. It's worth it though.

While it's absolutely true they're only babies for a little while, I can't let myself get so run down that I have nothing left to give them. I have to balance their needs with my own.

Last edited by A'smommy; 01-24-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: quote didn't work
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #53
Taylor
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsd View Post
Just to clarify: the technique does NOT involve "letting a baby cry continuously." It also does NOT involve stopping parenting at bed time.
That's what I think of when I hear "cry it out". Out, meaning to sleep.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #54
Momofboys
Registered Users
seller

I believe CIO is when you put your baby down and let them cry until they go to sleep with no comforting and allowing it to go on for hours if need be.

I let ds cry for 10 minutes max if I have already gone in there once to make sure he is dry, etc. However, I dont do the 10 minute thing until my kids are 1 year-old at least. Before that, I tend to their cries.
Momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #55
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree View Post

I'm not just blowing smoke when I say we don't let him CIO beyond 10 minutes. ...

The other, he was in there crying and when I went in there he had stuck his hand down his dipe and started "painting" his crib, bedding, etc. with poop. Had I let him CIO for an hour, who knows what that room would have looked like and he would have been sleeping covered with poop because knowing my son he would have gone to sleep anyway.
Again, sooo many grey areas. When I mention being a fly on the wall and get a reply of not letting a baby cry 1 hour...I never said CIO was letting them cry for an hour! Like I mentioned, some die hard anti-CIO'ers believe CIO for the 10 minutes you mentioned is unacceptable!
zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #56
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

To me CIO is any fussing or crying that could be helped by the parent doing anything, but the parent is absent instead. Thats just IMO.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #57
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
Again, sooo many grey areas. When I mention being a fly on the wall and get a reply of not letting a baby cry 1 hour...I never said CIO was letting them cry for an hour! Like I mentioned, some die hard anti-CIO'ers believe CIO for the 10 minutes you mentioned is unacceptable!
Well I have to agree with you there. I have a hard time believing people never let their babies cry for a few minutes.

When my son was a baby and wouldn't let me put him down and I had to pee, guess what? He cried in his bouncy seat while I went to the bathroom. Unavoidable sometimes....
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote