Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 PM   #31
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vaccine side-effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I wouldn't let my child get another vaccination for a long time after a reaction like that. Scary! But I'm not vaxing right now anyways, and it will be a long time before DS gets any anyways..

Plus, no one can take your kids away because you won't vax. Unless other things were severely wrong in the home and that was the "last straw" but good parents who care for their kids and simply refuse to vaccinate because of the risks aren't charged with neglect.
The last time she had a vax was just after she turned four months old. She's now 7 months , well 7 and a half months, and my DH is dead against vaxing her ever again until we look into this a bit more. It scared both of us, I mean I have my four before my youngest and not once did I see any of their legs going dark purple like hers went. It scared me, it also bothered me when the nurse said "OH well we've not had that happen before..."
Yikes... has anyone else's LO had their legs go dark purple - both of them?

Advertisement

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 PM   #32
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I just took DS to get some of his delayed vaxes 2 weeks ago and he had a horrible reaction to the d-tap fever and very very tired, needy as well he just laid on the couch all day watching tv and playing with his comfort toys. My suggestion is to get one at a time. Yes it is time consuming but this way you can get a better idea what the problem is.

HTH!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #33
allye
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
I just took DS to get some of his delayed vaxes 2 weeks ago and he had a horrible reaction to the d-tap fever and very very tired, needy as well he just laid on the couch all day watching tv and playing with his comfort toys. My suggestion is to get one at a time. Yes it is time consuming but this way you can get a better idea what the problem is.

HTH!
I have all the time in the world, you know that sounds like a good idea!
Does anyone know if they are still preserving the vaxes with mercury? I have heard this has led to problems as well.
Thank you, I appreciate this!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #34
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Here is a guide line I found and plan on doing now and with our nb.

also the link http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T085200.asp

Spreading out the shots and decreasing the number of injections. As you can see, there are a lot of shots during the first two years of life, often three or four injections at one visit. This can be overwhelming for parents and quite an ordeal for babies. Here are some tips on how you can spread out the shots and decrease the overall number of injections. Ask your doctor about these options:
1. Use a combination Hib/HepB in one injection. There is only one brand that makes this combination. Ask your doctor.
2. There is a Hib vaccine that only requires 3 total shots, instead of 4. The six-month dose is skipped. This is the brand also used in the combination Hib/HepB above.
3. There is one brand of DtaP/Hib that can be combined for the 4th dose at 18 months, but not the earlier doses.
4. During the first two years, most of these shots don't have to be given at the exact above ages. They can be given over a wide range of months. Here are the options for altering the schedule during the first two years:
  • Spread it out. Each shot should be given at least 6 to 8 weeks apart, except for HepB. (The first two doses can be one month apart – or longer).
  • HepB. These three shots can be spread out at any time during the first two years. You don't have to start at one month. It can be safely delayed if you wish. The second and third doses must be 4 to 6 months apart.
  • IPV (polio). These three shots can be given at any time, starting as young as 2 months of age, with the 3rd shot usually between 15 and 24 months.
  • DtaP. These 4 shots can be given at any time, with the 4th shot usually between 18 and 24 months.
  • Prevnar. These 4 shots can be given at a variety of times. Additionally, if you wait until your baby is over age one, he will only need one or two shots, instead of four (however, he goes without protection during the first year).
  • Hib. Can be given at a variety of ages.
  • MMR and Chickenpox. These can be given any time after the first birthday, and don't have to be given together.
  • HepA. This does not have to be given at age two. You can delay this one for years.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #35
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

DS's doc said that a man in japan made a comment about the mercury and then it spread like wild fire honestley I don't believe it (the doc that is) but it could be true who knows I still have lots of time to research it as well. DS won't get the MMR till he is 4 just to ensure he is ready and then the last one before he turns 5. Ans yes mercury is not a good thing and does and can cause problems in boy mostly.
If there is a history that needs to be brought up. I have a great doc otherwise regard delaying. even though I would like to go vax free, I know someday I will need to get a break and the Child Devolpment Center on base won't take kids with out full vaxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post
I have all the time in the world, you know that sounds like a good idea!
Does anyone know if they are still preserving the vaxes with mercury? I have heard this has led to problems as well.
Thank you, I appreciate this!

Last edited by Hayley; 01-24-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #36
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

oh yeah I also asked about the chance of getting measles, mumps, and rubella and was told that the last out break was in 1988 or 1989 and one one case was deadly.

My odds of ds getting something bad from the MMR shot are higher then the actual sickness KWIM?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #37
allye
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
oh yeah I also asked about the chance of getting measles, mumps, and rubella and was told that the last out break was in 1988 or 1989 and one one case was deadly.

My odds of ds getting something bad from the MMR shot are higher then the actual sickness KWIM?
Oh I completely hear that.
I am just shocked at what I am hearing about the vaccines. I wish I would have known all of these things sooner.
And yes, if I ever want my DD in my 4 yr old DD's daycare, I will have to at some point have her vaccinated. They will not allow a child to attend unless they are up to date with their shots... *sigh*

Thank you for this information Hayley, I am off for sure to read this!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #38
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

No problem. Dr. Sears has great info and I plan on taking to his delaying guide line with new baby!

I really wish I was better educated with poor Noah!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #39
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearonebaby View Post
the way I look at it is, if the actual disease is not a killer on the norm, just an irritant then I do not think a child needs it.. so I would say they need the pneumococal, hep and polio, I am on the fence on MMR, but not the flu shot, or chickenpox (which I know several people who have had the shot then got a serious case of chickenpox, but one dr we saw said that it is actually a different strand or something.. I am sure someone here can inlighten futher about this).
Pneumococcal, hep and polio are not a killer on the norm either.
Did you know that less than 5% of all polio cases are even symptomatic? And that less than 1% suffer paralysis? During polio outbreaks 95% of those who came down with polio never even knew they had it... it's not the killer it's made out to be.

Hep B and Hep A aren't killers either. Hep A gives people a week or week and a half of diarrhea and overall feeling really rotten, but it's not a killer in an otherwise healthy and well nourished person. Hep B is the same - it's not a killer in an otherwise healthy person. Even among the people who become carriers, some will clear the virus every year, so being a carrier doesn't mean that they're a carrier for life. The hep that causes the most problems with the liver is hep C, and there's no vaccine for that.

About the chicken pox, chicken pox is chicken pox. The truth is that the vaccine strain has simply been weakened... it's called attenuated because it's basically passed through over and over until it's not as strong... hopefully strong enough to create immunity, but not strong enough to cause a clinical case. Contrary to popular belief, if a vaccinated child develops pox from the shot, they are contagious with chicken pox. Of course it's vaccine straing which is weaker and less likely to cause as serious a case, but it's the exact same virus. So while there is a distinction between wild c-pox and vaccine strain chicken pox, the only true difference is that one is less virulent than the other. Same virus, just different ability to cause disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearonebaby View Post
Thank you KezooScarlet fever is suppose to be gone too but a year or so ago my cousin's son got it while attending daycare!! Pneumococal is for minigitus and the such so that is why I would choose that one.... as for the others I am up in the air.. honestly I once was against all vacs..
Ok, first I have to correct the first comment - there is no vaccine for scarlet fever. Scarlet fever is a complication of a strep infection. There has never been a scarlet fever vaccine in widespread use.

Pneumococcal - well, the vaccine covers 7 strains. There are more than 30 strains. Getting infected with the pneumococcal bacteria does NOT equal meningitis. Meningitis can be a complication from any virus or bacteria. It's a condition, not a disease in and off itself. Since the introduction of prevnar (the pneumococcal vaccine,) the cases of the sero-types in the vaccine have decreased significantly, however, now that the vaccine has been in use longer, it's being noticed that the actual incidence of invasive pneumococcal disease has NOT decreased. Instead, the invasive disease is now being caused by sero-types that previously rarely caused invasive disease. Additionally, the intro and use of prevnar is causing an increase in staph infections... it's one of those things like gut bacteria.. pull one out and the balance is off set.

The important thing to point out here is that pneumococcal infection does NOT equal meningitis. In fact the vast majority of kids and adults who get infected with one of the pneumococcal bacteria sero-types get nothing more than a cold. The key here is invasive pneumococcal disease... and perhaps the question that should be asked is why in some people do viruses get into the spinal fluid/brain which then results in meningitis. (Meningitis simply is a term that refers to the inflammation of the lining or mengis of the brain. Lik I said above, there are tons of bacteria and viruses that are able to cause meningitis.)

Quote:
Yikes... has anyone else's LO had their legs go dark purple - both of them?
No, but dd's reaction to the pentacel vax was super awful too. (Pentacel is what the shot containing DTaP/HiB/IPV is called, it's not licensed in the US yet, but it's routinely used here in Canada.) If you google DTaP vaccine reaction hypotonia you'll come up with a whole list of reactions. My dd had every single one on the list aside from seizures - fever, sleepiness, wouldn't eat and actually lost weight, developed hypotonia, high pitched screaming and inconsolable crying. She went backwards in verbal development and physical development... it was 2 mos after the fact before she started using her legs the same way she had been before the reaction.

Daycares here ask about vaccines, but a simple "we don't vaccinate" was sufficient when I was talking to dayhome agencies. I was told I'd need to put a statement of not vaccinating on file instead of a vaccine record, but that was it. *I never actually had to do this because dh took time off work when I was on bedrest with ds instead of us putting dd in a dayhome, but this is what I was told when we were looking at completing the paperwork and stuff.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #40
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Oh I completely hear that.
I am just shocked at what I am hearing about the vaccines. I wish I would have known all of these things sooner.
And yes, if I ever want my DD in my 4 yr old DD's daycare, I will have to at some point have her vaccinated. They will not allow a child to attend unless they are up to date with their shots... *sigh*

Thank you for this information Hayley, I am off for sure to read this!
Honestly- if that is the case you need to find a new daycare! If you are living somewhere where the exemptions are written into law then it shoudl not even be an issue. Do they receive any province funding? I am assuming it is like the US. If a daycare receives any state or federal funds they must accept the states vaccination exemptions.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote