Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Update on DD shoulders

**Here's some background for all the mamas to put it all in perspective

DD was diagnoised with GERD (acid reflux) at 8 weeks and it took until about 4 months for a treatment/medication to be effective. (About the LONGEST and worse 4 months of my life) She has the silent reflux (very little to no spitting up) and CRIED, CRIED and CRIED (did I say CRIED?) all the time. Almost nothing consoled her. When the medication that she's currently on started to work and we noticed improvements, I understood and distingished her pain/discomfort cries from other reasons pretty easily. I'm mentioning this because also since birth she's always been very upset when we touch or grab her arms/shoulders. Since she cried all the time I didn't really think much different of it because when we changed her clothes and/or diapers she was on her back- seemingly making the reflux worse I thought.

Well at DD 4 mo appt I mentioned it to her ped. She checked out her shoulders/clavicle and arms and couldn't find anything wrong. Of course DD didn't cry or fuss (it's so frustrating when you can't get another person to experience it!!!) She said it must be a DD thing. She continued to cry with the pain/discomfort cry with her shoulders/arms being moved, grabbed etc- especially when being clothes-but it wasn't all the time . I just knew something wasn't right. So at DD 6 mo appt, I brought it up again to her ped and this time I said, I really don't think it's just a DD thing, she's crying in pain/discomfort. The ped checked her shoulders/clavicile and arms again and this time DD cried like she had been all along. The ped said she didn't think it was structural but that it should be looked at by a ped PT. She set up a referral and we went.

The PT assesement, DD didn't really act up much, but the PT did get a little glimpse and did say that's not normal, something is going on but she can't put a diagnosis on it. We went to a second PT for add't eval (right before X-Mas) and DD was great. I don't think she evened cried once. Which is great but still frustrating b/c I experience it all the time. Anyways we had her talk to our ped and suggested an x-ray. The ped called me after and said they really don't think there's a broken bone, etc, etc but I insisted b/c I didn't want to have PT "work on" her and then find out later there was a broke bone. So, we had an exray after x-mas and it was clear.

I had another PT appt this afternoon and the PT thinks bt can't say for sure that it's a sensory sensitivity. Well, I don't know much about that, and it doesn't make complete sense- but I can see some of her points.

That's all I know as of today....

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Update on DD shoulders

Sensory is difficult to understand....I know because my son was diagnosed with SID (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) last year and life has been a definate challenge! Is it too young to get hooked up with Early Intervention? What did they suggest you do?
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
sienna
Registered Users

Don't stop until you get a diagnosis that DOES make sense. It could be SID. BUt if you aren't convinced keep hounding them.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
Don't stop until you get a diagnosis that DOES make sense. It could be SID. BUt if you aren't convinced keep hounding them.

S
mama,
I can't even imagine how tough it must be for you!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH and I talked about it last night and I'm going to try to find a ped chrio and have her seen by one. It just doesn't make sense to me if it's only interminent, b/c wouldn't sensory issues be most or all of the time?

Yeah, it's exhausting emotionally but I know that I'm right in keeping up with trying to find out what's wrong.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Any updates???
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
sienna
Registered Users

This child is extraordinarily lucky to have you be her mother. It is no accident that this child got you.

s
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote