Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
DD and getting her to give up her bottle habit...

OK, DD has always been a sucker. Even in the womb, she sucked her thumb.
She just seems like she can't go to sleep without sucking SOMETHING. She prefers the breast, but if not, then at least a bottle. So when I figured out it helped her sleep, I let her suck a bottle to sleep. I have done this for...2 weeks now? Just giving her the bottle right before bed. Even before that, she would suck herself to sleep. I read a magazine article that said I shouldn't let her do that b/c she will grow dependant on it, which she already has. What should I do? She is only 3 months...should I just let her continue this b/c she sleeps the whole night when she does...or should I just let her cry it out??

FYI: she always spits the paci out and her thumb is a last make her happy it has to be the breast or the bottle.

Opinons? How hard will it be to break her of this later if I allow it to continue?

Krista wife to James (Nov 2004) SAHM to Alison (Dec 08) and baby K (Aug 2010) and dedicated to losing weight, eating great, and saving money
loveskitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: DD and getting her to give up her bottle habit...

At three months I never worried about it. I nursed them to sleep and let them lead the way.
By the time they got older they stopped falling asleep at the breast on their own.
Dd was bottle fed and never fell asleep with the bottle, so I rocked her to sleep till she was about 1.
Mum to and and Wife to SHOP MR REBATES
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Registered Users

I agree, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. My DD went through so many phases when it came to sleep. At first, she needed to be nursed to sleep. Then she wouldn't fall asleep if she was being held. Yeah, don't worry about it yet.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My daughter was dependent on the bottle, It took me until 2 years old to ger her off of it. Try picking her up feeding her and holding her til shes asleep. Then lay her back down. Alot of times this happens as a result to proping babies bottle.
Single Mom to DD 11-23-06 and to DS 10-04-08. Loving , making it on my own with my babies. Earn points and spend them on Amazon!!!
darlazi is offline   Reply With Quote