Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
nrkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help! Pertussis problems

Hi Mamas,

I'm super stressed right now for 2 reasons. First, my daughter has pertussis. She is on antibiotics as we caught it quite early, but it it still tough. So if you have any tips as to what I can do to make it easier on her, I'd appreciate it. In addition to the antibiotics, we're giving her some homeopathy (ipeca) and probiotics and vit C.

Secondly, before realizing she had pertussis we hung out with our friend who has a 7 week old baby. I didn't vaccinate my daughter and am confident that she will get through this illness without any major complications, but I am really, really, really worried about my friends son. She is breastfeeding and I know that helps. But I suggested that she seek medical advice. She went to a pediatrician who told her that pertussis was a viral (!!!!WTF!!!) infection and that antibiotics won't help and there is nothing that she can do until her son coughs (if he does), except call 911. My understanding is that before he exhibits any symptoms, a bout of antibiotics could make all the difference. What is your experience/opinion?

I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

Advertisement

nrkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Pertussis problems

Get thyself Sodium Ascorbate, and very quickly. SA can do wonders on pertussis and it's basically just a really buffered form of vitamin c.You can find some good threads on this over at MDC in the nonvaxing archives.

Next, I worry about her being on antibiotics because it actually puts her at risk for pneumonia. The antibiotics keep her from spreading it, but actually put her at risk too. So weigh the pros and cons for that. If she is around other children it might be wise to keep her on them. If not, I would take her off of them but I'm just speaking from what I would do personally.

As for your friend's baby. I would probably do ahead and tell her mom. She may want to start him on vitamin c as well.

Big hugs!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

PS. No, antibiotics will not kill pertussis.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
nrkw
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mama. What is the MDC? Where do I find this subforum? Thanks!!
nrkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, pertussis IS a bacteria, not a virus. They do give abx as prophylaxis for exposed little ones, so I'm not sure where the doc was coming from with that one. They also do give abx to anyone when it's caught early, and often even after moving on into the later phases when they are pretty sick, although at that time it's nature's way of the body fighting it off alone and it's mostly supportive care. But in your dd's case, abx were totally appropriate since you said it was very early. As for your friend, that doc was wrong in telling her it was viral. It is definitely caused by a bacteria. They also do typically prescribe meds when someone knows they have been exposed, but in his case he may be too young/small for the meds they typically prescribe for it.

For your dd, I assume she's already been on the meds for a bit now, and if that's the case I would not stop them. Once you've started abx, you must finish them. Not doing so may not kill all the bacteria and give the remaining ones an opportunity to become resistant and come back even stronger. Do the vit. C, but finish the abx too.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I agree with the 7 week old being to young for RX unless they are really necessary. When an infant is that young it is hard to know(or take a chance) by precribing something and them have a reaction. They still sleep so much at that age the parent may not relize there is a reaction. I would tell the mom to start doubling up on her Vit C intake and a GOOD probiotic so it gets passed to the baby. Her eating healthy will help the baby a lot with a healthy immune system. And if the baby does end up getting it, then they can go down the RX road and do whatever is needed. She just needs to watch her lo closely.

I also think your child needs to finish the RX stopping in the middle of a dose could cause other problems(and I HATE RX but would still finish it). GL mama my chiro nurse dd had it at a very young age and they nursed through it, now she is 8 and a healthy strong child(not vaxed).
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkw View Post
Thanks mama. What is the MDC? Where do I find this subforum? Thanks!!
www.mothering.com/discussions go to the vaccine forum and they will be able to help you more.

Tharen had it this winter, but he didnt' have a hard time with it at all. He never took abx, abx will not really treat pertusis, they do it more in the hopes your child won't spread it. We refused the "proflactic" antibiotics for the family. The funny thing is that within a week of Tharen getting diagnosed Kearnan came down with the same symptoms. We took him in to the Dr to have it confirmed and naturally the PA told us that he couldn't have pertusis (he is up to date on that one as we didn't stop vaxing until he reacted to the MMR, Tharen is vax free). He supposedly had "non allergic rhinitis". But his brother with the exact same symptoms had pertusis? THey wouldn't even test Kearnan, even though Tharen's test was positive. Kearnan came through it just fine as well, and without any treatment since the PA insisted you can't treat non allergic rhinitis and that was what she was sure he had. Oh well, he won't take meds anyway.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote