Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

UPDATE in post #8! EC experts please help!

UPDATE in post #8!

Okay, here's the situation. My 8 month old ds pees nearly every time we take off his diaper. So I'm thinking maybe some low-key EC'ing is in order. I really don't want to take a lot of time with it. What I'm thinking is, I can bring his sister's extra potty up into his room and sit him on it when he gets his diaper changed. Is there any point to doing that? Any suggestions for what else I should do? Or should I just forget it?

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Advertisement

Last edited by jjordan; 03-17-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: updating
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: EC experts please help!

I'm no expert, but I am reading the book "The Diaper Free Baby" and am doing sort of what you describe with my 9 month old. The only pees we "catch" are just after he wakes from his nap, but it's better than nothing! Sounds like you'd have a lot of success. You feel really proud when they do it, too!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Lisa. I'll see if I can get that book from the library.

We joke that ds will be potty trained before his sister (3 in April), only because she seems determined to not be potty trained... But maybe moving a potty into ds's room will encourage her too!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
BabyKakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely a great idea...this is a great low key way to make the transition to toilet training! I suggest that you make sure his privates are tucked down or you'll have a hugs mess to clean up. Teaching boys to tuck and/or aim properly was always the tricky part of toilet training...LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Okay, here's the situation. My 8 month old ds pees nearly every time we take off his diaper. So I'm thinking maybe some low-key EC'ing is in order. I really don't want to take a lot of time with it.

Same here. I remember after I decided to start ECing, we were at the IL's for a lot of the day, by the time we left I had a HUGE bag of wet diapers to go home and wash. My MIL made some comment about are you sure you wanna EC? and I thought YES! look how much laundry I could avoid! And it's true. Now after being gone for most of a day I bring home 0-5 diapers to wash. A little upfront investment in learning the communication with your baby will save you TONS of time. And even just when she has to go - I take her, she pees or poo's, we're done. Way faster than fighting a diaper change and cleaning up a messy bottom.

What I'm thinking is, I can bring his sister's extra potty up into his room and sit him on it when he gets his diaper changed.

sure!

Is there any point to doing that?

YES! that's a great place to start! good idea!

Any suggestions for what else I should do?

someone else mentioned it, but The Diaper Free Baby by Christine Gros-Loh is AWESOME! love it! so I'd recommend reading that. Establishing a cue sound is a good place to start, too. Anytime you notice him going, make a sound (usually pssssss) and then eventually you can hold him over a potty, toilet, sink, etc., make the sound and he'll go! very useful!

Or should I just forget it? no, no! don't do that one!

Thanks for any help or ideas!
Careful, you'll get addicted!

eta: I'm no expert, just highly hooked on ECing.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for your very helpful responses! I'm pretty sure dh will think I've lost it when I tell him my plans. But it won't be the first time, and he always goes along with me anyway.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
soulkissed
Registered Users

I'll second the above advice - that's how I started with our DS at 6 weeks; I thought DH would think I was crazy too, but he was SOOO proud of his little boy

So I agree - it's a great way to start (in fact, that's still what we do w/ DS - potty him when we change diaper; sometimes diaper is clean, sometimes its wet, but we almost never change poopy diapers anymore...very nice!)

Good Luck!
soulkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Thanks again everyone! Little UPDATE in case you are curious...

I brought a potty up to his room late Sunday (3/15) afternoon. Sat him on it a couple times and "caught" a little pee. Mostly luck I'm sure because the kid pees all the time! Monday, also caught some pee at various times throughout the day. Very small amounts again.

Then today (Tuesday 3/17) it's like he's kind of figured it out! I sit him there, make the "psss" sound and he pees! And he's peeing more at once. YAY!

Honestly I don't even care what happens as far as keeping diapers dry or whatever... I'm just glad that he's not constantly peeing all over the changing table.

This is addicting! And, I'm beginning to think maybe he *will* be potty trained before his sister (who turns 3 in April).
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Thanks again everyone! Little UPDATE in case you are curious...

I brought a potty up to his room late Sunday (3/15) afternoon. Sat him on it a couple times and "caught" a little pee. Mostly luck I'm sure because the kid pees all the time! Monday, also caught some pee at various times throughout the day. Very small amounts again.

Then today (Tuesday 3/17) it's like he's kind of figured it out! I sit him there, make the "psss" sound and he pees! And he's peeing more at once. YAY!

Honestly I don't even care what happens as far as keeping diapers dry or whatever... I'm just glad that he's not constantly peeing all over the changing table.

This is addicting! And, I'm beginning to think maybe he *will* be potty trained before his sister (who turns 3 in April).
I know! It's so addicting! I'm so happy for you guys! I'm glad its working. (and the changing table is a little drier for it ) As far as for peeing more at a time - I've heard that EC babies tend to do that. And then go longer in between. Reason - because diaper-trained babies don't want to wet themselves when they're young, but then they have to go, so they just let a little out. Well then, a little more, a little more, you get the idea! Eventually they don't care about getting wet, but they're so used to just going in little tiny bits all day long that they keep doing it out of habit. But, an EC baby will try to hold out for someone to take them to a toilet, sink, or wherever else so that they don't have to use a diaper. They know that mom or dad, etc, had taken them before, so they hold out - thinking they'll get another opportunity! (Which, we sometimes miss, but oh well. We try!)

Keep it fun and you guys will love it! (sure, we all have days that aren't as dry as others, and there are the dreaded "potty strikes" but IMO it's totally worth it!)

Thanks for the update!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
maliroo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE in post #8! EC experts please help!

That's how we started... After each nap and every time I changed the diaper I held my daughter (8weeks) over the 'pot-pot' and made the psss cue. She is seven months now and is making the psss noise herself when she is peeing! It will be awesome when she tells me BEFORE she has to pee
I bought a clear potty from the EC store and have found it to be a great investment now she is sitting, as we can just relax and play for a little while and make the psss cue as she is actually going. A mirror has been handy too... Have fun!