Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what do you do

if people wont stop telling your kid "be good or xx wont come give you presents!"

i had it for santa and now the easter bunny.

i dont have money to get them stuff for easter... i got each one one small lthing for christmas that they picked out. its all i could afford.

every time we talk to family, my oldest gets what i said above, and my 2nd does sometimes, but he listens to just about everything i say, and helps me out a lot picking up, not throwing junk in the floor, etc unless my oldest is having a ton of fun, then he looks at me and makes a kissy noise and goes to help :sigh:..okay. well my oldest throws anything everywhere and makes a mess, so theyre told "help mommy or the easter bunny wont come", etc and i dont know what to do. "dont say that, i dont have any money so they arent getting anything anyway" isnt helping, and i literally get yelled at and people trying to lay on the guilt and it makes ME cry because its driving me so crazy if i dont answer the phone and all.

and they do talk to a couple other kids sometimes, so they could hear about the easter bunny coming and bringing the other kids stuff, and i dont want mine thinking they werent good enough or something since thats what theyre told, andi cant really explain "i love you, but the easter bunny is broke" kwim? i mean i feel bad enough that i cant get them stuff, but i especially dont want that thinking!

Advertisement

*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do you do

That's crummy. We don't do Santa or the Easter bunny (or we won't, rather, since DD is still too young to know the diff...) but if I were you, I would bring it up to your family. I'm not a fan of threats like that, maybe they could say "If you help mommy clean up I bet the Easter bunny would be SO happy!" or something like that instead?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Just tell the family that unless they are buying the gifts, to keep their mouths shut. We don't do the Easter Bunny, so it's not come up. Well, I should rephrase that. The kids know that the Easter Bunny is not the real reason of Easter and that their oma might send them a small bag of goodies. My mom, I think, just wants an excuse to buy them something. lol
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

we too do not do Santa, Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, whatever like that...

At first it used to really bother me, but now when my oldest is approached like that about one of the above, he is very frank and says that he does not believe in Santa or whatever. He explains that he knows that some people like to make believe about them and that is fine, but in our house momma and daddy buy presents and we celebrate for __________(insert the christian teaching of that particular holiday). Some people get really embarrassed, because some people really do not realize what they have asked, some people are amazed and think that I have a prodigy on our hands, some people think I am weird and some get angry...

My mom was/is one that crosses this line all the time, and when Ayden told her that Santa would not be visiting her house because he lived with Jesus in Heaven it really made her mad. But she realized that she was stepping over bounds any how and things have gotten better as far as saying things to the kids. She still tells me how it is horrible I am denying my child imaginative thoughts...but whatever.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote