Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Leaving kids at home alone sick or healthy?

I had a working mom and she'd leave me home alone when I was sick when I was 8 or 9, but she never left me to watch my sick sister too. Plus, she came home at lunch time and only worked until 3:30, so she was only gone for 3 or 4 hours at a time. And if anyone was seriously pukey, high-fever sick, she'd stay home.

Its just another sign of how screwed up our priorities have become in this country that parents of extremely sick children can't take time off from work without suffering serious repercussions. I feel sorry for your friend but she really shouldn't be leaving two young kids home all day like that. Its just a tragedy waiting to happen...

Advertisement

Last edited by Monzie; 03-31-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
EBentley
Registered Users

My Mood:

In our state, a 9 year old can be a latchkey kid (a few hours after school alone) but cannot watch other children. I think they can't be legally left to watch their siblings until age 11. I know our parents left us alone all the time at young ages, but a 9 year old should not he home alone with a 4 year old all day. I would call CPS, even on my best friend.
EBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
p1clars0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a single mom growing up, and she allowed me home alone (sick, and on some Saturdays) starting at around 9. I was very responsible, and we din't have any other family around. Looking back, I think Yikes!! too young, but those were different times, I guess too. I would probably leave my eldest at home for a few hours when she is 10, but not leave the little ones with her. That seems like an awful lot to handle. Can the 9 year old make lunch for the little one?
p1clars0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1clars0 View Post
I had a single mom growing up, and she allowed me home alone (sick, and on some Saturdays) starting at around 9. I was very responsible, and we din't have any other family around. Looking back, I think Yikes!! too young, but those were different times, I guess too. I would probably leave my eldest at home for a few hours when she is 10, but not leave the little ones with her. That seems like an awful lot to handle. Can the 9 year old make lunch for the little one?
I'm going to go over and make them some soup. I don't know if either of them feel up to eating, but I really want to access the situation myself.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

id worry to but as a single mama she is needing her job . expecially now daysu can lose it and not get another one to replace it. I think depending on the kid 9 years old is pretty reasponible , I know my 7yr old dd is (i never leave her alone shes just my baby but if i had to i know i could) I feel bad for that mama . And that was nice of u tooffer to watch her sick kids
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

no way!!! in fact i'm pretty sure that's illegal!! I think my parents started leaving us at age 10 but my brother is only 2 years younger. a 4 year old needs more than a 9 year old caretaker, especially sick.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I went over and fixed them some soup. They are actually doing much better then I'd expected. The 9 year old said he feels much better and they both ate. They seemed ok, just a bit quieter then normal.

I had to wash dishes to be able to feed them though, so I don't know what they would have done if I hadn't gone. She has a ton of stuff that they can fix on their own, but being sick I thought they should have soup or something. He also wanted Jello. So I while they were eating I made Jello and he'll be able to get that in about an hour. I couldn't stay long as I had to get home for DDs bus. But I told them to call me if they needed anything. I'm only a few blocks away, so I can get there quick.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
rvela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tough situation She needs her job. But she also needs to take proper care of her children. You are a very good friend for all that you've done for her. I would have a heart to heart with her, explaining that you feel compelled to take action against her for leaving her young sons home alone. Also explain that she may have to suck up some of the guilt she's feeling for getting people sick, and accept your help. Where's the Dad? Can he be accountable for any of this? He should be trying to help find a sitter/taking off work if his boys are sick too! Otherwise he needs to be paying enough child support for their Mom to stay home with them.

ETA : I stayed home alone starting when I was 5 years old with my 4 year old brother. My Mom would come home for lunch and be home for the day at 530. It was NOT a good situation. We did horribly dangerous things and I'm really quite suprised that our childhood home is still standing and no one is dead.

Last edited by rvela; 03-31-2009 at 12:51 PM.
rvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
I can't think of any 4 year old that would be fine home alone all day - even with a 9 year old. I was allowed to stay home alone for an hour or 2 started around age 10. So I can see MAYBE leaving the 9 year old if she's really responsible for her age for a couple hours but not all day. And not with a sibling to keep an eye on. I know when I was that age if I got sick I wanted to be left alone all day anyhow - so it wouldn't have phased me for my parents to go to work but they wouldn't have gone all day. I think maybe at that age my Mom might have run to the grocery store to get me some 7up and be right back type thing. And no way no how would she have left a 4 year old.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvela View Post
Tough situation She needs her job. But she also needs to take proper care of her children. You are a very good friend for all that you've done for her. I would have a heart to heart with her, explaining that you feel compelled to take action against her for leaving her young sons home alone. Also explain that she may have to suck up some of the guilt she's feeling for getting people sick, and accept your help. Where's the Dad? Can he be accountable for any of this? He should be trying to help find a sitter/taking off work if his boys are sick too! Otherwise he needs to be paying enough child support for their Mom to stay home with them.

ETA : I stayed home alone starting when I was 5 years old with my 4 year old brother. My Mom would come home for lunch and be home for the day at 530. It was NOT a good situation. We did horribly dangerous things and I'm really quite suprised that our childhood home is still standing and no one is dead.
The Dad recently ran off with another woman. After a scary incident a few weeks ago he was ordered by the police chief to not have any contact with the family. She did try to contact him last night, but he did not reply.

I don't think there's any actual law on this in PA, but then again she was the one who told me that, so I don't know.

I remember doing some pretty dangerous stuff when left home alone too. Perhaps that's why I worry so much about it.