Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Graco Nautilus short crotch strap debacle

Anyone else read about this on Car-seat.org?? and if so what are your thoughts on it?

Apparently alot of children are having problems with the crotch strap being too short even with it on the furthest out slot. According to Graco if your child is sitting on the strap they have outgrown the seat for use with the harness?? I was thinking about getting one for DS and giving the baby the Marathon for the time being so I took him to BRU to sit in it and try it out. He's over the last slot for the crotch strap so even though the seat fits him everywhere else he's too big to use the harness.

Some people are ok with it because other manufacturers are ok with the child sitting on the buckle a little but Graco has said if they are on it they are too big. I can post a link to the talk on Car-seat.org if you haven't read it yet.
I'm not sure how I feel about it, if I already had the seat I'd probably use it but since we haven't purchased it yet I'm nixing the GN and going with the Frontier instead.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
spookykitty
Registered Users
seller

Re: Graco Nautilus short crotch strap debacle

I just bought the GN for my ds age 3 weight 35 lbs. height 39 inches. and yes, I saw the posts you are talking about with the crotch strap depth being too short. I debated both the GN and the Frontier, but we went ahead and bought the GN.

BUT we tried the seat at a store and it has plenty of room with the crotch strap in the second position. Thankfully, as you know the GN is less expensive than the Frontier and it is supposedly easier to install. We'll be working on getting this seat in the car after DH is home from work.

If my ds was sitting on top of that crotch strap, then I would have gone ahead and gotten the Frontier.

I agree with your thinking... If your ds is over the crotch strap in the GN, I would get the Frontier.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
spookykitty
Registered Users
seller

Oh I wanted to ask, are you sure that your ds was sitting all the way to the back of the seat when you were at the store?

When my ds first sat in the seat at the store, it looked like he was sitting right on top of the crotch strap on the furthest out slot. BUT he was slouching and didn't really have his butt all the way to the back of the seat.

When we pushed him back into the seat, we saw he fit fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I pushed his butt all the way back and strapped him in to make sure he was in the seat right. I was bummed because he liked the GN better than the Frontier especially the cup holder! lol
In the Frontier the crotch strap was in the middle setting and fit him perfectly, in fact the furthest out setting was way too big for him so he was a TON of growing room.

I'm still baffled at why Graco would make a seat that is meant to harness kids up to 65lbs with a crotch strap that can barely fit some 3-4 year olds?!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been following that thread, too and personally I would not be worried about it and still feel good recommending this seat to others. For one- I don't think we have defined what constitutes being on the crotch strap. Does it mean that it has to angle forward to reach the harness buckles? Does it mean his ischial tuberosities (butt bones) are over it? Somewhere in between? I really believe that Graco will revise their statement on this and it will be fine. Really, those 2 positions are like 1/2" apart! What did they expect??

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This was just posted in that thread. I am impressed that someone from Graco took the time to read and post:

Quote:
My name is Dave Galambos and I am the Global Customer Satisfaction Manager for Graco.

First of all, we’re always grateful to get feedback from consumers and we’re glad you brought this to our attention. Until now, this hadn’t been an issue in which we were getting a lot of feedback. The Nautilus seat was part of our extensive “Fit to Child program” and was designed and tested to fit 97% of 5 year olds in the harness.

I know some of you have been in touch with our Customer Service department who will work with you on a case-by-case basis if you call us. I wanted to at least post something here in hopes of answering some of your questions or giving you some input on this particular issue. I would like to offer this response to the specific question about the instructions in the Nautilus manual about choosing between the two crotch strap slots.

When choosing between the two slot locations on the Nautilus seat, make sure your child is seated completely back in the seat. If the crotch of your child is between the two slots, choose the slot that is in front of your child. If the crotch of your child is in front of the front slot and your child still meets the height and weight requirements and their shoulders are not above the top harness slots, you do not need to discontinue use of the harness because of the crotch strap location.

I hope this answers your questions and provides the needed information to make sure you are using the seat as it was originally intended during the design and rigorous testing program. If it does not, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. If you are still concerned, call us at 1-800-345-4109 M-F 8am-5pm ET.

Thank you again for your passion and dedication to child passenger safety and of course, in keeping your own children safe.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
mommyshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have that seat for my 7 year old. I haven't checked the crotch strap specifically lately, but he doesn't have a problem buckling himself up. I always check after he's done and make sure he latched in with the chest clip at the right level. I know he'd mention it if the strap was digging into his crotch.