Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
everyone thinks their children are smart, but

how do you know if they are really above average? I dont mean crawls early or PT early or whatever, i mean how do we know if they are actually smarter than average???

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Re: everyone thinks their children are smart, but

I don't think you can definitively say before school age. But, if they seem ahead of their peers by a good bit, then I would say they often turn out to be smarter than average. For me, I have 3 kids and while they are all, of course, very bright, my dd is a bit beyond regular smart. She talked very early, picked up on anything you told her the first time, knew colors early, could write all her letters at 3, all that good stuff. I didn't really realize how smart she is until Kindergarten when her teacher called me after the first 9 wk testing they do with K students- she told me my dd not only tested above all the children in the class (30 kids), but "blew them out of the water." I think *that* is when you start being able to tell for sure your kid is smarter than many others.

That said, I do not plan to do any type of IQ testing with her. I have 2 brothers and we are all smart- I made the best grades, but my oldest brother is probably the "smartest". The school called my mother when he was 7 or 8 and IQ scores were the highest in the school- just unbelievable. My mother thanked them and said she was not interested in the score. Life is about a lot more than just smarts.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Like pp said.. when they seem to go above their peers and excel very quickly.

DS is the youngest in his 1st grade class but 1 of only 3 in the advanced reading class that they just started allowing 1st graders in due to how further along they were. He is reading at a 3rd grade level and his boredom in class is causing him to look for other ways to stimulate himself (ie.. just talking too much now, dazing off, etc.)
I don't really think he is smarter so much, but definitely has an easier time at grasping concepts in reading and math.

But who knows how long it will last. Think only those who are extremely advanced can be said to be 'smarter' than others at the lower grade levels. kwim?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the replys. I always said i would never be one of those moms that said their kids are "sooooooo smart" or "soooooo advanced", but as nick gets older, i really think he is. im a ftm, so i really have no clue what a 2 yr old is normally like. he is 2 and can sing a bunch of songs, knows his colors, he can hold conversation. just the things he comes out with is amazing to me. he was sleepy and rubbing his eyes the other day, and I said, "nick, are you tired?" and he said "no, im just rubbing my eyes". last week i was changing his bum, and my dad said , "nick, come here" and he said "hold on, not yet, mama's pulling my pants up". he has an attention span, and he speaks in full sentances. other people comment. i hate being "one of those moms", so im just curious if he really is smart, or if he is just average (which is totally fine, just so noone thinks im horrible).
just wondering =)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is really something that starts to show at school age. Kids develop at all diffrent rates, and a child that is very gifted in one area is often on the slow side of average in other areas. Kearnan for example is a genius according to his IQ scores, but he is also ASD. He is gifted in math, music, and computers, but behind in verbal skills, writting and social skills/selfcare. My brother and I both had genius IQ scores, and we were both in AP or gifted classes all through school, but we lack the drive that really makes people excell. My mom always said that was our problem, we didn't have to work for anything, it all came so easily for us, so we weren't willing to do it. I think as far as it applies to schooling she was right, but the school really let us both down as well, and she never was willing to push us either (that would have required being at home and involved, instead of working 70+ hours a week).

Kearnan was well ahead of the curve developmentally as a toddler. His vocabulary at 18months of age was better than alot of the kindergarten kids he is in school with now. He was very in-tune emotionally as well. Then he regressed and shut down almost completely for several years. Tharen is more average on his verbal development (though his abstract thinking and imagination fascinate me) but physically he has always been way ahead. But I have no idea what that will mean for him as he ages. I plan to support them both, encouraging their individual strengths and learning styles while also challenging them in their weaker areas. I plan to put them both in Karate or similar soon, for Tharen it is a chance to show off his grace, power and balance that is so ahead of other kids his age. For Kearnan it will give him a chance to show off his critical thinking and planning skills, while challenging him physically (his overall strength and endurance is low). Kearnan is also wanting to take up the violin. He has a musical ear and perfect timing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Jillarin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When children enter kindergarten they will naturally be compared to their peers. My second dd began full time Kindergarten and was quickly promoted to first grade and it was perfect for her, she was exactly where she fit. You will find that naturally talented/gifted kids do not flaunt that they are smart and "better" than anyone else.
Jillarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've wondered this myself. My oldest is 3.5, and the youngest in her preschool class, yet she seems to me to be at their level or better in many skills. She was average on physical milestones as an infant, but way advanced in the verbal department. But like someone said there's more to life than just smarts, so I don't want to make a big deal and go and get her tested or anything.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, my dd is 6. She knew her alphabet at 18 months and could count to 30. Her pedi thought that was amazing but we figured she just really caught on to it quickly. Now, I don't know if she's *truly* advanced but she now reads and comprehends at the 10th grade level. I think reading just REALLY clicked in her head really well but it's hard NOT to think she's advanced when she's helping me spell things. lol
Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym91005 View Post
thanks for the replys. I always said i would never be one of those moms that said their kids are "sooooooo smart" or "soooooo advanced", but as nick gets older, i really think he is. im a ftm, so i really have no clue what a 2 yr old is normally like. he is 2 and can sing a bunch of songs, knows his colors, he can hold conversation. just the things he comes out with is amazing to me. he was sleepy and rubbing his eyes the other day, and I said, "nick, are you tired?" and he said "no, im just rubbing my eyes". last week i was changing his bum, and my dad said , "nick, come here" and he said "hold on, not yet, mama's pulling my pants up". he has an attention span, and he speaks in full sentances. other people comment. i hate being "one of those moms", so im just curious if he really is smart, or if he is just average (which is totally fine, just so noone thinks im horrible).
just wondering =)
I love little conversationalists! People did not honestly believe me about dd (like family members) until they heard her. We went to the fair when she was 25 mos old and as we are getting out the car she says "I'm kinda nervous about the dragon ride." Of course, she was also the only granddaughter and great granddaughter, so she garnered a lot of attention and thought she was the center of the universe the first 5 yrs of her life. That is one thing that is easy to do with very bright children and something to be careful about.