Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: How much harder is it going from 1 child to 2?

Going from one to two is a piece of cake-going from two to three is horrible So you can safely have one more and still keep your sanity sara

Advertisement

myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethridge View Post
I'm interested in the replies to this thread! We are sorta on the same boat, only DH and I BOTH don't think we want anymore kids.

I just don't know how moms with more than 1 kid do it without disappearing into a blackhole and never leaving the house again, lol!!!
Getting out with two actually isn't that hard-adding a third one is when it gets tricky because they no longer fit in the grocery cart, car seats don't fit in a car, you only have two hands etc. Two is definitely doable sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
joshsmomma
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I found it a little harder with 2. My ODS was just over 2 when my youngest was born. He's now 3 months and we're still trying to get into a routine. Like the pp, my first was a dream baby and this one is more high needs. It's hard when they both need me at the same time, and I'm not sure who to go to first. We're potty training right now, and Gavin will wake up screaming right when Josh gets on the potty! Or I'll sit down to nurse Gavin and Josh will tell me he needs to pee! Oh, and when they both start having meltdowns at the same time.... I want to lock myself in the bathroom! Getting time to myself (like to take a shower) is difficult. Also, since Gavin was born in December, and I live in Ohio, going out at first by myself was next to impossible. It was too cold to put the baby in the wrap and he HATES his car seat. But since it's been getting warmer, it's easier. I feel like I can tackle the grocery store alone now! But, like others have said, it's TOTALLY worth it!! Seeing Josh give Gavin kisses and watching Gavin watch Josh so intently is amazing.
joshsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I found it really easy, but my dd was 5.5 when ds was born, so that made it easier. Even when it is hard in the beginning though, I think it evens out. Plus, I found that having 2 or more means they can entertain each other at times, which helps. 3 or more is when it gets a little hairier- when you have 2 you still get times when they are both occupied/asleep or whatever and it is not hard to find friends and family to watch 2. Once you hit 3, you start splitting them up when you need babysitting from family/friends and someone always needs something so you don't get as much peace. Of course, we are baking #4 so that didn't stop us from continuing on, but I do sometimes miss when I had only 2! Oh, and I rarely miss having just dd, if I am reminiscing, I usually miss that brief (16 mos) time that we had 2 kids.
One thing about having more than one kid that I see as a bonus- you relax a bit. You realize kids cry/ get upset and it's ok not to fix everything. You realize that your 2 yr can indeed go on the slide at the playground by herself and also that "I said so" is a perfectly acceptable excuse. Oh, and going out means someone is going to meltdown and that's ok- par for the course- not something to stress over. I think what I learned with having the boys helped my dd, who was an only for 5 yrs.

Last edited by Nanner99; 04-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsr76 View Post
Ok, well, I'm one of those who has found it very hard going from 1 to 2. But I wanted to share anyway because as hard as it has been, it is beyond worth it. AND I know that the hard part is really only going to be these first few months. I am already more organized and in more of a routine than I ever was when we just had one, and we're getting more and more used to this new life every day.

Also, it's been hard for me because my first child was a dream baby. Slept 3 hours, woke up, ate, pooped, chatted for a bit, then right back to sleep. I could lay him down awake in his crib and off he'd go to sleep without needing me to do a thing. Baby #2 is a different story entirely. She's a difficult high-needs baby but even with all that combined I can tell you it's so worth it, and even saying that yeah, it is hard, I have to add that it's not THAT hard. You get used to it. And it's so rewarding, and watching my son pat his sister's little head or give her kisses is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I guess my point is that even if it does seem hard at first for you, it's doable and you will find that it has changed your life into something even more amazing than it was before. I say go for it.
I could have written this exact post! It's been extremely difficult with a toddler and a high needs baby, but definitely worth it!

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Mayghan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Easy as can be for us. YDS is the most laid back little guy and does everything ODS does so he fit right in!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalmost3 View Post
Getting out with two actually isn't that hard-adding a third one is when it gets tricky because they no longer fit in the grocery cart, car seats don't fit in a car, you only have two hands etc. Two is definitely doable sara

I agree I am so glad my almost 3 yr old is getting old enough to not immediately dart into traffic when I unbuckle his car seat! This summer I will be taking them all along with my own fat behind to the pool and trying to keep everyone from drowning and just praying the boys both actually want to get in the water this summer (heat + pregnancy+ manic toddlers= not much fun if they won't even get in the pool so I can too!) I will soon have an almost 9 yr old (whom I already make go with me to the grocery store to help out ), a 3 yr old, an almost 2 yr old, and a newborn. Just getting 3 of them out of 5 point harnesses and into the d*mn store will be a trip in itself. But, you learn to adjust with each one. Oddly enough, I am not any more stressed with 3.5 kids than I was with just one and actually, my hardest parenting years were the first 3 yrs of dd's life.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

From one to 2 was smooth as silk! Honestly, I think it is easier to have 2 than one. DS1 hated being in the car until his little brother came along, since he got some company in the back seat, he loves it. They learn sharing and compassion so naturally with siblings. And they'll have eachother for their whole lives!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HARD! I can't nap when DD2 naps, because DD1 isn't napping then. DD1 often wakes DD2 up just by suddenly laughing. DD1's night-time routine went by the wayside, and we haven't set one up for DD2 yet. Worst, I didn't feel like I could leave DD1 downstairs on her own while I coaxed DD2 to sleep for 30 minutes, so I got in the habit of letting DD2 nap on my lap, and now she's spoiled! She won't sleep in her bed!

Even before DD2 was born, we had trouble: I was put on bed rest for a while with high blood pressure (hard with a 24-month-old) and then had pre-eclampsia, and was sent out of town to a hospital with a good NICU, and was gone from home for almost 3 weeks. Wouldn't have mattered with my first baby -- was rotten knowing that my daughter was at home missing me.

When DD1 was 6 months old, we both went to choir rehearsal once a night and had a great time. I dropped out last May and restarted when DD2 was 6 months. I'm tired, yawning horribly by 9pm. My throat gets tired fast because I'm tired. I don't have time and energy to practice.

My house is not as clean as this time around with #1. I still have 15 pounds to drop because I can't just zip the baby out for a long fast stroller walk. (Preschoolers don't walk fast, but nor do they want to be in a stroller!) I now have two obstacles keeping me from getting places on time.....

Do I regret having two? No. But for me, so far (9 months), it has been waaaay harder than the first time.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblurose View Post
We had no issues going from 1 to 2. Our hardest was going from 2 to 3.
my mom said the same thing.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote