Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Homemade BabyFood and Traveling?

Can it work?
We're taking a 6 day trip to Hawaii and I honestly don't see how I can pull it off with homemade baby food...

Andrea ~ SAHM to Sophia Rose ~ 4.5.06
turtlemoon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Homemade BabyFood and Traveling?

So, that would be a long plan ride-right?
I could take our frozen cubes everywhere in a cooler with us but that was on the road-not sure by plan. But once there-it shouldn't be a problem.

Can you take coolers on a plan?
mommato4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #3

What I do when traveling is take portable things like pears, avocado, bananas, etc with me so that I can just mash it up (or cut into pieces) while we are on the road. Then when I get to my destination I stop by a grocery store and pick up a few things that don't require much work to prepare. Honestly, boxed baby cereal is great when traveling too. I know Earth's Best makes individual portions of baby cereal. If your DC can eat finger foods, I wouldn't worry too much about bringing along the pureed foods. it's more of a hassle than it's worth.
Caitlin - mom to Viktor 3/8/06

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

ALso, we got as a gift this little, tiny food mill! Itis just *perfect* for on the road! It is totally portable, and i think you can get them other places for not very expensive! And, especially b/c you will be in Hawaii, you will have A TON of fresh produce! You couldn't really ask for a better location for fresh fruit- just remeber to wash everythign really well! Especially if you can't afford organic.... And, some friut, like pears- youcan blanch inhot water really quickly, justto break it down a bit if it isn't totally ripe- and to make it more digestable! Happy travels mama!
Oh, i just remebered, i posted in the 'organic food' thred, about a book called "Simply Natural Baby Food" by Cathe Olson... This is my golden book as far as making healtful, homemade baby food... They suggest a very simple, but organic recipe for homemade instant baby and toddler cerel... You just need organic rolled oats (which are super cheap!), raw, hulled sunflower seeds and if you want, parsley dried or flax seeds... If you want the measurements, just PM me. But, you just wiz it all up in a blender, and then when you are ready to serve, you put the portion you wnat in a bowel and pour boiling H2O over it- let it sit for a few minutes, and you're good to go!! It is easy to make a bunch before hand, and pack it in your suitcase- a little goes a L-O-N-G way too!
Sarah Lena - Wife to my DH Thomas and mama to two boys- 8yrs. and 4 yrs.- and baby girl due April 28th 2014!!!!

Last edited by onyxxmoon; 01-24-2007 at 10:43 AM.
onyxxmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would think you could check a cooler (with dry ice??) that's how they get fish, etc. home from those trips to Alaska.

If you decide not to, though, be sure to try some jarred stuff before you go!! I made all of DDs food and in a pinch once tried jarred food and she threw it all up. Not pretty, and not something you'd want to find out on vacation!

Good luck and enjoy!
Andrea wife to Scott
Kelsey 2-06 and Stacy 4-07

I blog! Stop on by!
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Registered Users

Your ddis just 2 weeks or so older than my girls and we self feed. They eat what we eat and dn't have purees or "baby food". So much easier when you go out!
mimid is offline   Reply With Quote