Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your child when they outgrew naps?

Hi- At 2.5 my DD was sleeping 7:30-7:30 with a 2 hour afternoon nap around 1:30

Advertisement

TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
lunarain25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older DS was still napping when I sent him to kindergarten and slept 12 hours at night. At nearly 10, he still goes to bed at 8pm.

My younger DS is nearly 3 and hasn't taken an afternoon nap for at least 8 months. It was a sad day when he stopped napping. We still have "rest time" as we all need a little down time during the day. He goes to bed between 6:30 and 7pm every night because he is wiped. He wakes anywhere between 6:30 and 8am.
lunarain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a little more time to type now so here goes....

Naptime used to be around 12-1, bedtime around 8-8:30, wake around 6:30 or 7

Then for the past month or so around 2, bedtime around 9-9:30 and he would sleep until 7:30 or 8 (wonderful since I used to pray that he would sleep until 6 , he used to be a SUPER early riser when he was smaller)

For the past week he just can't settle until around 4pm and will still take a 1.5 to 2 hr nap. Meaning He can't get to sleep at night until late (last night 11pm)

Should I try to drop the nap unless he has days where he really needs it?

I am sad, I always said naps are God's gift to mommies
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
aegossett
Registered Users
seller

I have four kids... With the two boys they were about 2.5 when they decided they didn't want to take a nap. We started standing at the crib and telling them to close their eyes and be still. Yes, this is a pain, but worth it. My younger son is 3 now and sometimes he will go to sleep on his own. He must stay in his bed or receive consequences. I still go in his room and lay down on the other bed to watch him if I want him to go to sleep. Some days I just don't want to so I let him stay awake and play in his bed. All the kids have rest time or "room time" during this time.

With my daughter, she liked naps until about 4yrs. I rarely had to watch her. That was nice.
aegossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
shrijnana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 2 1/2 we are switching DD from napping to resting. She stays up way too late when she naps. But I think the quiet down time in the middle of the day is important, so we rest and listen to stories and just cuddle.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 is 4.5 years old and naps every day without complaint. Naptimes have never been negotiable here; every afternoon its 2 hours in bed. Right about the time he turned 4 he started sleeping less of his nap and doing some singing, talking, playing, etc... in the bed. So now he has the option of taking one book to bed with him to read. Generally he reads about an hour and sleeps the second hour. If I didn't have a set time and duration for nap and if he had the option to get out of bed or protest, he would, and then he'd be a bear. So daily rest and reading it is. He sleeps 11-11.5 hours at night.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Around 3-ish.. A little before. I still put him in his room for a rest time though. With my DD she is 2 and she still naps.
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

4 1/2... he gets an hour of quiet time that he has to lay and sometimes he'll fall asleep... maybe once a week. If he doesn't that hour of relaxing he is a cranky and very dramatic.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 just turned 3. She's had a couple of spells of not napping for several days, but always went back to at least 5 out of 7 naps until we took her out of her crib around 30 months. Then she instantly dropped to 2 naps a week! We've still insisted on 90 minutes of quiet time (locked in her room) so that I can sleep with DD2 (with a monitor). Just lately she went back to falling asleep almost every day!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was about 5 and quit at the same time that DS did (at about 2.5) when he lost his last paci.
DD2 quit taking a daily nap on her 2nd b-day. *sigh* The difference is that she always nursed down for her naps and the other two laid down on their own. She will still take the occasional nap, but it's not planned on or expected.
I would prefer the kids to all nap until they were about 4 and have quite time for even longer. But, we are where we are.
LadyofReason is offline   Reply With Quote