Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rewards system

At what age can you start doing a chart and rewards system for your LO's? What I am wanting is a chart where I can mark the things DD has done throughout the week....like brushing teeth, picking up toys, etc. Pretty basic stuff that I am trying to get DD motivated to do...and put a positive spin on things. What are good rewards for 3/4yo? Does anyone have any they have used that they can show us? Or sites where we can get ideas or buy them?

Advertisement

c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rewards system

my boys like "striped chocolate" otherwise known as hershey's hugs. stickers if she likes those. ice cream, fruit snacks, dollar store toys, a game with mom or dad, other special time with mom/dad, new crayons/markers/pencils, i recently got one of those "tubes" of sea creatures, and plan on doling those out one at a time when the time comes. there are dinosaurs and other kinds of animals too. i also got a tube of mini playdoh, mostly for our recent plane trip, but will definitely be using it for a reward for giving up the pacifier, if that ever happens. as for a chart, you can just make one. or have her help you make one. or use a calendar. good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is the type of board my sister uses for her 3yr old son.
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/chore-chart--magnetic-dry-erase-responsibility-board-by-board-dudes

We started the "Reward" system back in Jan when he just turned 3. So far he only has to do three things throughout the day. "Be Nice,Clean Up,and Listen." If he does those things throughout the day than he gets to put a magnet on that day. For 7 magnets he gets either a sticker or a piece of candy,for 12 magnets he gets to pick from the "goody bag," and for 18 magnets he gets $2. He's able to earn 21 magnets throughout the week. So far he hasn't earned all 21 magnets in a week. But we've noticed an improvement over all with his attitude and is listening better.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am looking for something that is geared toward younger kids. DD will be 4 in June. Something with pictures along with words for a chore would be good.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also....what are some good way to do rewards? I don't want to make it impossible for DD to get a reward...but I don't want to make it to easy either. Should I do a few different levels of rewards? In each level have a couple to choose from? We could count up the points earned during the week. Once we have the total we can go to that level and have DD pick a reward.

Any thoughts? What are some good rewards to do?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
vickul
Registered Users
seller

My preschool kids LOVED Trend Enterprises Stinky Stickers (scratch and sniff). Sparkle stickers were a close second. Other popular prizes were finger puppets, cute erasers, pencils (if kids are old enough to use them), balls, bubbles, play-dough or modeling clay, water "guns" (not gun-shaped), rubber animals/bugs/snakes, punching bags, coloring books, and candy. Oriental Trading Company has a great selection of inexpensive reward-type toys.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are about to start with our daughter (3.5) to try to get her to sleep in her own bed/room. The rewards we have talked about is like a outing to the park with mom and dad, going "shopping" (which she totally loves, even if it's to the grocery store to get regular groceries), going to the zoo, etc...things that we as a family can do together (which we already do, but to know she's earned them and working towards them will be a plus aswell).
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote