Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quick question about naps and bedtime for 4 month old

DD2 goes to bed around 6:15-6:30ish. However, lately her last nap has been ending around 3-3:30pm, so she starts getting really tired around 5pm. I'm hesitant to put her down this late when her bedtime is just around the corner so I've been keeping her up until 6.

Would it be better for me to give her a late nap and push her bedtime later? I LOVE the early bedtime, it makes it so much easier to give DD1 her bath and put her to bed when DD2 is asleep.

THANKS!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
beattymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quick question about naps and bedtime for 4 month old

i guess i would say try it out. if she does well with a late cat nap (1/2 hour) and a later bedtime do it. but if you LOVE the early bedtime and its working keep it going. whatever works best for you.
beattymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
angelikapisadika
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What if you met her halfway and let her go to sleep for the night at 5:30? It's not unheard of and I've read books and seen videos of professional sleep counselors actually recommending the bedtime ritual beginning with a 5:00 bath and then a feeding and then in bed for the night. Does her waking a little earlier pose a problem? If not, I'd try it! Especially where quality time with DD1 is at stake...you can't rush those good times!

Last edited by angelikapisadika; 04-03-2009 at 05:53 PM.
angelikapisadika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
martimeCDnewbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had a similar pattern for a while around the same age. I let her have the late nap..and then she ended up going to bed a bit later..and then suddenly she went to 2 naps a day. around 9 and then again around 1. she goes to bed now between 630-7 she's almost 10 months. Trial and error worked for us...every bebe is so different!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny thing. She napped until 4:20pm today but STILL started rubbing her eyes around 5:15. She must have an internal timer! I pushed her to 6 again but I think I may try the late nap option. The only problem is occupying my toddler while I put her down, but there are worse things...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say put her to bed earlier instead of taking the late nap. My dd is 3.5 months old and she goes to bed around 6, but sometimes she has been known to go to bed around 5:30. She sleeps until 3 or 4 am, eats, then goes back to sleep until 7 or 7:30.
Just curious...since our lo's are close to the same age, how many naps is your dd taking, when are they and for how long? For some reason my dd will only take 3 short naps around 9, 12, and 3 for like 30 to 60 minutes, but she is still crabby. I'm wondering if it is just a stage and if it will improve????