Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
SO- How do you get a kid to eat healthier?

My 4 year old will be 5 at the beginning of June. When she was a baby, she ate all the veggies I could blend up for her without a problem. When she turned 1, she didn't want anything to do with them NOR did she want anything that had a sauce or chunks... Normally I would just start blending up cooked veggies into sauces but she will not eat it. Oh and no soups, either. She'll eat apples so she gets about 2/day but that's absolutely it. It drives me insane!

Since she won't eat sauces or soups, how on earth can I hide veggies in her food??? I thought about putting it in breads and muffins but I'm not much of a baker. lol

HELP!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
dkyle220
Registered Users

Re: SO- How do you get a kid to eat healthier?

Limit what you offer her. Only offer her the stuff that you want her to eat, and don't give her "junk" or what she wants until after she eats her veggies. It may take a few tries, but it should work. A child won't starve themselve, so eventually they will eat what is offered. I currently have this issue from time to time with my 2 yr old. Sometimes, he leaves the table without eating hardly anything... it doesn't really bother me, because he'll eat what is offered when he is hungry.

This method has worked for me. My kids love vegetables, when we go out to eat they will even request broccoli or salad over french fries. The waiters/waitresses always look at them like they have two heads or something. I really limit "junk food" in the house, so I guess they learned to like them.

Last edited by dkyle220; 04-03-2009 at 09:44 PM.
dkyle220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's how my oldest is. We don't keep junk food in the house so there's really nothing to not offer her until her veggies are gone. We've taken the 'eat or go to bed hungry' approach but each time, she would throw up in the middle of the night and I'm just not willing to go through that since that was uber miserable for everyone... I'm at a point where there is no other method I can think of. And she's just THAT stubborn where she will starve herself because she takes after me. lol
Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried making it fun? Offering her kebob-style veggies/cheeses/meats/fruits? If she likes smoothies, you can pack a bunch of nutrients into a smoothe - fruits, yogurt, milk, ground flax seed, wheat germ, even a few veggies. Does she like dip? What if you put different things in a muffin tin (cut up veggies, meats, cheeses, crackers) and put a few "dip its" in some of the spots (ranch, peanut butter)?

My DD is just 13 months now, and is sometimes picky but not always. Good luck mama, I know how frustrating it is not knowing if you kid is getting enough nutrients!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, we've tried it. She won't touch dips and only peanut butter if it's on a sandwich and it took over a year just to get her to try peanut butter. I've let her help make dinner, made a big deal out of her making it and she still won't eat it. It's a struggle at every meal time. She has oatmeal for breakfast and I tried to put some raisins in it and she just flipped out on me about it. UGH.

She did tell me she that if vegetables were purple, she would eat them so I'm going to get an eggplant and see how that goes. LOL