Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do u feed baby - solids question

Just wondering what to feed DD who is 7 mos, but has given up baby food. She is ready for table food. We have let her have a few things here and there, but if she doesnt get enough solids she is up all night every 3 hours to eat. Previously she would sleep 2 6-hr segments at night.

So far we are feeding her:
bananas
pasta
ritz crackers
oatmeal
puffed rice
over-cooked broccoli
tiny bits of ground beef/ mashed potatoes

It has to have texture that she can pick up herself but be soft enough. i'm, looking for more fiber-friendly ideas - she tends to get constipated easily. thanks for the ideas, mamas!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

Re: What do u feed baby - solids question

you can try carrots, green beans, peas, asparagus cut into small pieces, cheese, Im sure I will think of more but thats all I can think of right now
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD has always really liked scrambled egg yokes with a little shredded cheese mixed in. If you're looking for fiber, how about homemade pancakes with ground flax seed or wheat germ? Or blueberry waffles? My DD also likes baked sweet potato cut into small pieces. Good luck!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In addition to your list and the PP's suggestions, we let our 8mo eat:
cheerios
kix cereal
avacado
cooked pears
cooked apples
peaches
grapes (cut in half or quarters)
melon
cantalope
kiwi
cooked legumes/beans of all kinds except peanuts (starting at 8 months)

Mainly we try to stay away from berries and acidic fruit like pineapple and tomato (yes, tomato is a fruit), and avoid dairy for the moment.

As far as more fiber, you can make soft little oatmeal cookies minus the raisins and try "pasta plus" by Barilla. That stuff has awesome fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

My DD had problems with constipation too when we started solids. My pedi said to give her any fruits and veggies that started with "P" to help loosen the stools. We give her pears, peas, and prunes frequently. However, I think she just had to learn to push out the poo, because she no longer is constipated. She does eat every meal now though too. GL mama!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 loved peas (I pierced them to make them less of a choking hazard), black beans (we used canned, but I rinsed them first to decrease salt), and green beans (ditto).
Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
newGranny2
Registered Users
seller

howdy! dd cooks, purees in the blender, and freezes in ice cube trays:
sweet potato
butternut squash
apple
chicken
green beans
peas
the cube size makes it easy to adjust portions and mix foods together. she just empties the trays into freezer bags and can see at a glance what's left. she thickens with rice cereal if too runny when thawed.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
DD1 loved peas (I pierced them to make them less of a choking hazard), black beans (we used canned, but I rinsed them first to decrease salt), and green beans (ditto).
regarding these "whole" foods - if DD doesn't chew, they seem to come right back out of her solid - and this is OK..?
On the pasta, pancakes, do u just make these ahead of time & keep them in the fridge? I just dont think to do stuff like this but good idea!
I'm just getting really frustrated because Breast Milk doesnt seem to satiate her but yet sitting in a high chair she gets VERY whiny and upset and just seems to not want to be there. Yet when I try to get her to nap she seems hungry still...
or other times we sit down to feed her solids - she sits for about 5-10 mins. and then is just tired of it but yet hasnt really eaten enough. Or I will find that her diaper is wet. Do other mamas have to keep changing their baby in the middle of their baby's eating? My boys were not like this!
thanks

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 04-04-2009 at 11:41 AM.
vintagegyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

When DD was at this stage, I found that a lot of the slippery or moist foods (which were possibly ideal for her) were a little hard to eat.

The best trick I found: coating everything with Wheat Germ. Not only does it help make the food easier to handle, but it adds lots of extra nutrition.

HERE is a great link on feeding your baby finger foods There are some recipees you can find and awesome tips (that's where I got the wheat germ idea.)

One of the best brain-building foods that my DD absolutely loves to eat is salmon coated in wheat germ. I will fry a little piece up (for her I will use the "fresh" frozen kind from Wal-mart because its cheaper ) Once it's cooked, I separate it into little flakes and coat the flakes in wheat germ. Delicious and nutritious Can't beat those Omega 3's either!