Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
rissamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
any mama's have a child hospitalized for a psych eval?

My son is diagnosed with ADHD and we are going for a scheduled psych eval on the 20th but he is becoming increasingly violent towards others and choked a friend yesterday by the time he got home and I got the crisis people on the line from his counselors office he was calm so I didn't want to take him in for an emergency psych eval but this was his 2nd incident in a week and the crisis Dr made it pretty clear that next time I shouldn't question it he needs to go in

I just can't bring my self to that point how do you do that?? Also what happens when you do?

Advertisement

, babywearing, getting crunchier by the day!
rissamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: any mama's have a child hospitalized for a psych eval?

How old is he?
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
rissamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

9 he will be 10 in Oct

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

hey mama. I work at a group home, so I hope I can help. A psych evaluation is 72 hours. They will access him first though to see if he needs that evaluation. They may recommend medication or some type of inpatient, out patient, or some kind of group home. Don't feel bad if that's what he needs. A medicated and counseled child that is thriving is the goal. Don't let anyone touch him, look at him, or care for him, that doesn't appear to know what they're doing. You'll have to fight, but if you do, there are people out there who can give him the help he needs. We have 10 year old boys with similar issues as you described, do fine at our group home with no medication. I'd try that first or just medicating the ADHD before medications for the aggression. If they recommend inpatient treatment or a group home. Look for somewhere that counsels the whole family and the child, NOT just the child. Just counseling the child is a waste of time. They'll work with him and teach you how to work with him and, if the place is good, you guys will be a happier family in the end. Don't let it escalate. 10 is a good place to stop this stuff and get the help. Waiting until they're 16 and have been doing this stuff for years always makes it harder. I'm here for you mama if you need to talk. Just say to yourself, no matter what they say, "I'm a good mother doing the very best for my son. Our family will be stronger through all of this." Don't be scared. It will be fine.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMome View Post
hey mama. I work at a group home, so I hope I can help. A psych evaluation is 72 hours. They will access him first though to see if he needs that evaluation. They may recommend medication or some type of inpatient, out patient, or some kind of group home. Don't feel bad if that's what he needs. A medicated and counseled child that is thriving is the goal. Don't let anyone touch him, look at him, or care for him, that doesn't appear to know what they're doing. You'll have to fight, but if you do, there are people out there who can give him the help he needs. We have 10 year old boys with similar issues as you described, do fine at our group home with no medication. I'd try that first or just medicating the ADHD before medications for the aggression. If they recommend inpatient treatment or a group home. Look for somewhere that counsels the whole family and the child, NOT just the child. Just counseling the child is a waste of time. They'll work with him and teach you how to work with him and, if the place is good, you guys will be a happier family in the end. Don't let it escalate. 10 is a good place to stop this stuff and get the help. Waiting until they're 16 and have been doing this stuff for years always makes it harder. I'm here for you mama if you need to talk. Just say to yourself, no matter what they say, "I'm a good mother doing the very best for my son. Our family will be stronger through all of this." Don't be scared. It will be fine.
sounds like good advice to me.
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great advice but I would actually disagree with medicating the ADHD first - depending on the child. If a child has a possible mood disorder, especially aggression psychiatrists like to try a mood stabilizer first as stimulants can often cause aggression or make someone who is aggressive even worse. After the mood is stabilized (i.e., aggression tendencies decrease) the stimulants are added. A lot of people view mood stabilizers as really bad but I have seen the opposite (in very low doses). I have seen more side effects if a child is only on a stimulant and could possibly need a mood stabilizer.

It all depends on what the psychiatrist says, though. A lot of children who are dx with ADHD have comborbid disorders or they have been diagnosed incorrectly.

Calebsmom - that is wonderful those children are doing great without medication. It sounds like you work in a very successful home!! How wonderful!

Is your child on medication?
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
rissamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes my son has been diagnosed with ADHD for a very long time and we started on ritalin then on to concerta which was wonderful until the dose was increased and could not comfortably be increased any further, and now he is 20mg adderral xr which works well for school and focusing but obviously isn't meant for the aggression and mood issues

I hate having to wait forever to get in for these appointments we have a scheduled psych eval for the 20th which I am told will take an hour I am guessing that is more of an assessment and then an appointment with a neuropsychologist on the 29th but I feel like we are walking on eggshells trying not to "piss him off" (pardon my french) so he doesn't hurt someone

I have changed his diet taken out dyes and added an omega 3 suppliment also he has a protein shake in the morning with flax seed and b vitimans added (found with the add diet) I limit his dairy because I read that children with these issues can have dairy sensitivity