Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
june weaver
Registered Users
Re: pressure cooker?

Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Dh just bought one at Goodwill today. I'm excited, but scared of it - and I don't own a dishwasher to strip dipes in
lol I don't have a dishwasher either. I guess the thought of a fire is scarrier to me than an exploding pot of chicken soup! Did your Good will goodie come with an instruction book? The cookers I've used have a pressure relief "valve" on the center of the lid. Make sure this is clear before use so steam can escape. Don't overfil so nothing will bubble up and clog outlet. Check the gasket around the lid.. If its old or cracked the steam will escape there and the gasket will need to be replaced. Increased heat equals increased pressure. Removal from heat source equal stopping pressure increace. If i get worried I put cooker on an unused burner and decrease the heat. Sometimes is hard to tell if cooker pressure has released enough for safe removal of lid. Patience is a virtue here and don't worry, even after a good hour or more of cooling at room temerature you food will be quite hot. Good luck.

june weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: pressure cooker?

I love my pressure cooker! I have a newfangeled Electric one that cooks on my countertop so I don't ever have to worry about it overheating. I cook whole chickens in it at least once a week, DD loves to eat the juicy chicken meat, I feed it to her all week long, lol. I also pick the chicken from the bones and make chicken salad, chicken pot pie, etc. And soup, of course, like PP said.

I am a big crock pot cooker but I love my pressure cooker for days when I remember around noon that I didn't get anything going for dinner...when it's too late to cook a pot roast in the crock pot and have it be tender, I can thaw one in the microwave and cook it in the pressure cooker no problem!!

For pot roast, I brown the roast in a little oil (my pc has a brown setting) and then add a packet of dry onion soup mixed with a couple cups of water. I cook it on high for an hour and then quick release the steam and add my potatoes, carrots and turnips. These cook in only about 6-7 minutes, but it takes about 5-10 min. to get the pc back up to pressure. But still, whole dinner in less than 90 min. vs. 10 hours in a crock pot.

Other pressure cooker faves...I take a pork roast (I get them on sale and freeze them) and cook it in 2 c. of apple juice w/ a little apple cider vinegar and brown sugar mixed it, salted to taste (Don't brown the meat first). Cook it for at least 45 min, release the pressure. Take super tender pork and shred it, mix in the BBQ sauce of your choice and serve on buns for pulled pork sandwiches. (This also works really well in the crockpot if you get it on early).

Baby back ribs are wonderful in the pressure cooker, cooked either w/ just plain water or beer. I make a fast rub out of seasoned salt, chili powder and brown sugar. You don't need to cover the ribs with liquid, just enough to make steam to cook with, so maybe only a 1/3 of the way up...cook on high for 30-45 min. depending on how many you have and then take them out, lay them on a cookie sheet and baste w/ BBQ sauce, finish under the broiler in the over for maybe 5-10 min. They are falling off the bone and oooooooooh so good.

Trying to think what else I use it for, lol. Beans, like others have said....rice...
Don't do lentils or split peas in it, they explode and get yucky.

If you search on Amazon for pressure cooker, there are a ton of really good cookbooks out there! Don't be scared!
NoDramaMama is offline   Reply With Quote