Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
mom27wonders
Registered Users
Formerly: mom23cs
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

I am weird about shoes too.....we have never worn hand me down shoes here. Although recently my toddlers have outgrown 4 pairs of shoes that they barely wore (because mama doesn't take them anywhere ) so they will be held for the little ones since they isn't even any wear on them whatsoever. Otherwise, no, I feel like each person should get to "break in" their own shoes for their own feet

Advertisement

mom27wonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did for about the first 12-18 months of walking. I didn't go for reeeally worn looking shoes, but as long as they didn't show that they'd shaped to the foot, I was fine with it. And I don't think the leather ones like Robeez are likely to shape poorly.

I haven't worried about germs. Sprayed them with Lysol disinfectant spray or bleach water and let them sit for a few days.

I also figure, my daughter wouldn't be wearing them much at all. Outgrown in 3 months, and how much of that time are they on her feet? We never wear shoes inside, and not always outside, so....

Once she started being in shoes a lot, though, I switched to new or EUC.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

most of my lo's shoes are hand me downs!! most of mine were hand me downs. no problem here. but thats me.

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I only wear used shoes, and so does Margo. Most of her shoes I have found at thrift stores for less than $4 a pair - brand-new-looking Stride Rites. I've gotten 5 pairs! Why would I spend literally 10 times that per pair for the same exact thing?

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No. My DD2 had to see a surgeon because of bad in-toeing and she just happened to be wearing DD1's old shoes. He said to never wear hand-me-down shoes because those shoes are formed to the previous owner's feet and will never fit the new owner's feet and can cause a lot of foot problems. So, we don't now. He made a pretty big deal about it so that was enough to scare me out of even trying it since she has a problem with her hips in the first place. I don't want to add foot problems on top of that.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only let me kids wear hand me down shoes if they have not been worn often like dress shoes or shoes that my older dd only wore for like a month. The thing with used shoes is that if someone wore them a lot, the sole formed to the shape of their foot, which is different from your foot, and so it may not be providing the right support in the right areas for you or your child. I hate how expensive shoes are, but I'd rather make sure we all have the right support for our feet since they take a lot of abuse.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
No. My DD2 had to see a surgeon because of bad in-toeing and she just happened to be wearing DD1's old shoes. He said to never wear hand-me-down shoes because those shoes are formed to the previous owner's feet and will never fit the new owner's feet and can cause a lot of foot problems. So, we don't now. He made a pretty big deal about it so that was enough to scare me out of even trying it since she has a problem with her hips in the first place. I don't want to add foot problems on top of that.
I was typing my response at the same time as you. sorry for the repeat info.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #18
fr0ggybaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

yep, i do, they do. saves us $ and i love the hunt. i scored some crocks for $5 at goodwill and i don't think they were even worn. i love those ugly things!! shoes can be washed or disinfected. but i like the "good" used shoes. nothin fallin apart...i mean what's the point?? lol and i have seen falling apart for sale. are they crazy??
Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, with shoes no one is going to have the exact same shape as my foot or my daughter's foot, so I don't want the mold of someone elses foot in the shoes espically since my daughter's feet are developing.

Shoes are one of my weird things though, DH doesn't have a problem with it since I do shop at the outlet malls (I love stride rites outlet that is a few mins from the house) so I don't pay full price for them, but would if that option wasn't avaiable.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

So long as they're in good condition, sure.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote