Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #31
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

I don't let them wear used shoes only because when you wear a pair of shoes it forms to your feet, I think it would be uncomfortable to walk in. I guess if it were like girls dress shoes and you could tell by looking at them that they were only worn maybe once.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
broaddaylight
Registered Users
seller

I mean, I wear- and let her wear- used shoes that are in good condition.

No worse to me than used dipes!

I wouldn't buy nasty falling apart dipes either!!!

Some used things are good, some are grody and broken. It depends.

We have gotten SKRs, Vans, Preschoolians, Rainboots, and Converse 2nd hand in awesome condition for less than $10 a pair. Some for free from friends.

Last edited by broaddaylight; 04-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.
broaddaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #33
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i do if they are in good condition.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes- I 've only boughten him one pair of new shoes and that was because he wore a hole overnight in his other shoes and I had to get something fast. I love the great deals I get on good-excellent condition shoes that another child barely (and sometimes never) wore. I wear used shoes as well- but again- they need to be in great condition and I clean out the inside and outside of all the shoes before we wear them. I know we could afford to buy new but I just feel better (not slamming anyone- this is just a personal thing) when I save resources and use something that has a lot of life left in it that may otherwise be thrown away- besides that- I love a bargain!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Sometimes, if they are in new or nearly-new condition. But not usually. I have tried on used shoes a couple of times, trying to be frugal, and I just can't wear them at all. They feel awful if they've been worn at all.

We buy shoes on sale though. I don't buy any fancy name brand shoes for myself even -- and especially not for kids who are going to outgrow them so fast! I can pick up a cheapie pair of shoes on clearance at Target for $5-$10 and so what if they don't last -- they don't need to. My husband also loves shopping clearance sales, so he'll buy a pair of kid's shoes if he sees a great price, even if it's way too big. We have cheap new shoes stored up waiting for the kids to grow into them.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #36
anj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Interesting. I had no idea it wasn't recommended to use previously owned shoes. We have on occasion purchased gently used shoes for our boys. And my youngest has only had one new pair of shoes. He gets all his brother's old shoes. To be honest, I probably will continue to hand shoes down as my boys only wear shoes outside and seem to do fine with pre-worn shoes.

To the original poster,
Perhaps you should talk to your mother about respecting your choices. Even if she doesn't agree, you get to make whatever choices you want for your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
No. My DD2 had to see a surgeon because of bad in-toeing and she just happened to be wearing DD1's old shoes. He said to never wear hand-me-down shoes because those shoes are formed to the previous owner's feet and will never fit the new owner's feet and can cause a lot of foot problems. So, we don't now. He made a pretty big deal about it so that was enough to scare me out of even trying it since she has a problem with her hips in the first place. I don't want to add foot problems on top of that.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #37
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd rather get used shoes, whether hand-me-down or resold, than to pay the price of new shoes. more than $15 is really hard for me to justify.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #38
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. My kids wear them and so do I.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #39
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

No. Never.

I will on occasion buy my daughter some used play clothes (not usually though, b/c I find that I can get brand new for just a few dollars more in a lot of instances), but never shoes.

First - feet are so unique and individual to the person that they belong to that a used pair of shoes could impact the way their foot forms (especially for small children) and how they walk. New shoes provide sturdy support, plus your child can mold them to his/her feet, not have shoes that have already been molded by someone else's feet.

I also won't buy cheap (Payless, etc.) shoes for my child, because I have foot problems myself (previous stress fractures that never healed properly from overexertion) and don't want to set my daughter up for that, either.

I can often find name brand, good quality shoes for $25 or less online (with free shipping).

ETA - my daughter typically gets about 3-4 months of use out of shoes (we bought her new sneakers at Christmas time and she's outgrowing them now) and we paid $22 for these shoes... I know it's a lot of money upfront, but it's been 3.5 months... we can definitely afford $7/mo. for good shoes.

It's also not good to wear the same shoes all the time (podiatrist recommend having a MINIMUM of 2 pairs of shoes), so she usually has 3 pairs of shoes at any given time - usually two pairs of play shoes and one pair of dress shoes.

I don't wear used shoes myself. And I buy high end shoes. I have issues with my feet and love certain brands more than others, so typically stick with those. I don't bat an eye when I pay $80+ for a pair of my shoes, which will last a LONG time.

ETA - I just bought my daughter two pairs of sandals/shoes for this spring/summer and they cost me $42.40 for both pairs. I also got free shipping. I did find a $10 off discount code prior to checking out, too.

Last edited by MW69842; 04-09-2009 at 02:01 PM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #40
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
No. Never.

I will on occasion buy my daughter some used play clothes (not usually though, b/c I find that I can get brand new for just a few dollars more in a lot of instances), but never shoes.

First - feet are so unique and individual to the person that they belong to that a used pair of shoes could impact the way their foot forms (especially for small children) and how they walk. New shoes provide sturdy support, plus your child can mold them to his/her feet, not have shoes that have already been molded by someone else's feet.

I also won't buy cheap (Payless, etc.) shoes for my child, because I have foot problems myself (previous stress fractures that never healed properly from overexertion) and don't want to set my daughter up for that, either.

I can often find name brand, good quality shoes for $25 or less online (with free shipping).

ETA - my daughter typically gets about 3-4 months of use out of shoes (we bought her new sneakers at Christmas time and she's outgrowing them now) and we paid $22 for these shoes... I know it's a lot of money upfront, but it's been 3.5 months... we can definitely afford $7/mo. for good shoes.

It's also not good to wear the same shoes all the time (podiatrist recommend having a MINIMUM of 2 pairs of shoes), so she usually has 3 pairs of shoes at any given time - usually two pairs of play shoes and one pair of dress shoes.

I don't wear used shoes myself. And I buy high end shoes. I have issues with my feet and love certain brands more than others, so typically stick with those. I don't bat an eye when I pay $80+ for a pair of my shoes, which will last a LONG time.
My thoughts exactly. I save up for my dd's SKRs, etc. I also save up for my own Chacos and Danskos or ask for them for my bday
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote