Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question I need co-sleeping information, statistics...anything!

Ugh...I am so tired about the comment from my neighbor who is also a good friend. She used to work in the ER and witnessed a little girl die from suffocation while co-sleeping. Because of that, she has decided that what I am doing is wrong. She constantly talks about it and has told my Mom that I am a bad parent because of it. I feel that she is ill-informed and would like to pass along some websites for her to look at. I am hoping that she will shut her trap honestly. I am looking for some good info, but I am coming up empty. PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Re: I need co-sleeping information, statistics...anything!

it can happen and because she witnessed a baby die from it there's probably nothing you can say to change her mind

just tell her the baby sleeps in her own crib
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...eep/sleep.html

you should find some good info there.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
K-Murph
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
seller

My Mood:

I've been co-sleeping with the LO while the DH has been away (since March 13th and will be away till mid-May ) without him knowing ... shhh, don't tell him! He's afraid of the same thing, so for all he knows, the DS is still sleeping in the Pack n Play that's in our room. I got sick of lifting him in and out of it every two hours while half-asleep ... and honestly, the LO is so big for a newborn and I'm pretty small, so I can't see myself rolling over and smothering him ... But then again, I'm still paranoid so I keep some distance between us.
K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
skigrrl06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go to the grief and loss support page...

that is while me lo started sleeping in her crib today!
I am scared to death to sleep with her!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
mamaholdyou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a nurse, I've worked in pediatrics, and I co-sleep

I wrote a paper on SIDS in college and found that most (although not all) cases of infant death where the baby was smothered by the co-sleeping adult, the adult was inoxicated or impaired or it wasnt an appropriate bed... for example a couch or too many fluffy heavy blankets. Cases where a child was smothered are no longer included in SIDS statistics because they have a cause. A death is only ruled SIDS when all other causes such as congenital defects or smothering have been eliminated.

If you are really worried about it they make all kinds of things that go in the bed and beside the bed to prevent rolling over on them. I was once the world's heaviest sleeper and i managed to co-sleep with DD until she was too sweaty and squirmy and preferred the crib.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out the Dr. Sears website
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

and also the La Leche League website
http://www.llli.org/resources.html

Both are HUGE ADVOCATES of co-sleeping. I co-slept with all of mine and believe me 23 years ago it was even less heard of then it is nowdays. I haven't researched the issue in many years, but I do know that cases of "smothering" the baby while "cosleeping" have usually proven to be either SIDS or cases where one or both of the parents has used alcohol or drugs therefor are themselves impaired and should not have been sleeping with the child in the first place. I honestly doubt that any facts or research are going to change your neighbors mind, but it might prevent her from continuing to hassle you about it. The trauma of the event she witnessed in the ER will color her ability to be objective about the issue.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote