Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #41
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

I wear used shoes and so does she. It's not everyday so I don't see the problem. We both have new pairs and new to us pairs.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #42
Outnumbered
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't, but not because I think it's wrong or gross or anything. I work for a shoe company and I get samples for free, so I don't pay for any of my kids' shoes. Or my mine or my husband's, for that matter.

Come Swag with me!
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #43
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Shoes are one thing that I do not use hand-me-downs. Shoes mold to a person's foot. Unless they are shoes that are barely used (no foot molding in them), we don't use used shoes. I won't even let my younger son wear his older brother's outgrown shoes.

It's just not really healthy for feet to be in shoes that have molded to another person's foot.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #44
weddell
Registered Users
seller

We usually don't.

The only footwear that dd has that is used are snow boots and rain boots. We don't wear them often and they aren't really a type of shoe that gets molded to a foot. I also once bought her a used pair of preschoolians. They are the shoes that come with 3 different removable footbeds (narrow, med, wide). The person who I bought them from said they had hardly been used and they had only used the wide footbed. DD needed the narrow, so it was pretty much like using a new shoe.

DS wore a used pair of 0-6 mo robeez. Babies don't walk so they were just for warmth, so no problems there.

But once they are really walking, I prefer new shoes. We get ours at Marshalls (outlet store). Stride rites are $13-$17 a pair. Right now dd is wearing a pair of Merrel mary janes that were $16. So I do get bargains.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #45
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

No, we don't generally use used shoes. However, DS2 is using a pair that DS1 used. They were hardly ever used by DS1, so they are in REALLY good condition. We buy Stride Rite shoes because they are the best shoes we have found for our kids. We buy them at the Stride Rite Outlet store we have here. Last time we went to get shoes - a pair for DS1 and DS2's first pair of shoes, I paid less than $20 total. They were having a sale on the already reasonably priced outlet price.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #46
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I usually buy her shoes though I have gotten used shoes for things like dress shoes (only worn a few times) or shoes that do not look worn at all. If they look worn, forget it. But dress shoes especially I don't worry too much about because she may wear them once or twice though the pair I bought her at Wal-Mart for $5 she's worn a little more but those were brand new.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #47
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
I wear used shoes and so does she. It's not everyday so I don't see the problem. We both have new pairs and new to us pairs.
Ditto! For me, I have to buy new because I have really bad vericose veins and I have to wear Dr. Schols brand or my legs are in agony so twice I year I buy a $50 pair. But before I had kids/bad legs I only bought used. For my kids, they have both-I love buying used sandals and play shoes because they're going to ruin them in about five seconds anyways! But for church/dress shoes, I usually go to Payless or Target-but I never spend more than $10 a pair. As my kids get older, I will probably buy one new pair of school shoes each fall but they'll wear the heck out of them
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #48
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddell View Post
We usually don't.

The only footwear that dd has that is used are snow boots and rain boots. We don't wear them often and they aren't really a type of shoe that gets molded to a foot. I also once bought her a used pair of preschoolians. They are the shoes that come with 3 different removable footbeds (narrow, med, wide). The person who I bought them from said they had hardly been used and they had only used the wide footbed. DD needed the narrow, so it was pretty much like using a new shoe.

DS wore a used pair of 0-6 mo robeez. Babies don't walk so they were just for warmth, so no problems there.

But once they are really walking, I prefer new shoes. We get ours at Marshalls (outlet store). Stride rites are $13-$17 a pair. Right now dd is wearing a pair of Merrel mary janes that were $16. So I do get bargains.
Every time I see a post from you I over your avi picture! Sorry OT, but its so darn cute!
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #49
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalmost3 View Post
Every time I see a post from you I over your avi picture! Sorry OT, but its so darn cute!
LOL Thanks!
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #50
newGranny2
Registered Users
seller

howdy! never. i always bought dds' shoes at a stride-rite store where i knew the owner was knowledgeable. they only had two pair at a time, one play and one dressier/school, but i felt the development of their feet was worth it. they had hand me down and thrift store clothes until they got to middle school and then had a budget which they could spend however they wanted. one dd bought everything from clearance racks and would come home with a bag full, the other, one pair of gap jeans. p.s. i wear thrift store/yard sale shoes myself if i can find them.