Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Registered Users
Different flours for bread

I have begun making my own bread. Found a simple recipe and have been making a couple loaves every few days.
But I now I want to play around a little and sub in some other types of flour - wheat, white wheat, oat, etc.
What is better to work with? Right now I'm using bread flour instead of regular flour. But the recipe says reg flour can be used (bread flour just makes the texture different).
Can I still use the same recipe? Or if I use different flour, I need a different recipe?
Can I mix the flours - like 1/2 white bread flour and 1/2 wheat (or something else)?

Nicole, Mama to my 3 boys.

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Different flours for bread

Hi I used to do that as well until i found this master recipe. you can make everything from this sweet rolls, pita bread, pretzels the whole 9 i cannot keep a loaf in the house for the life of me. this recipe is AWESOME! you can keep it in the fridge the dough for up to 2 weeks. it has a nice sourdough taste. an fyi for the pretzels on make what you will consume.

Makes 4 1-pound loaves

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 TB gran. Yeast
1 1/2 TB kosher salt
6 1/2 c. ap flour
Cornmeal for the pizza wheal

Cut off a loaf sized portion, shape into 4 sides, put the ball on the pizza wheel/baking sheet. Let it rest uncovered for about 40 min. 20 min. before baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place an empty broiler tray for holding water on another shelf.

Dust the top of the loaf liberally w/flour, which will allow the slashing serrated knife to pass w/o sticking. Slash a inch deep cross, scallop or tick-tack toe pattern into the top (This helps the bread expand during baking).

Quickly but carefully pour about a cup of hot water into the broiler tray and close the oven door to trap the steam. Bake for about 30 min

Stage 3 is using the dough for bagels and pretzels. Yes, the same dough ! it is as simple as shaping that dough into a pretzel shape or a ball and poking a hole into it to make a bagel. What next? Boil some water (3 cups) with 2 tablespoons of baking soda in it. One by one place your bagels or pretzels in the water and boil for about a minute, turning once. Place on a non-stick/oiled baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or leave plain. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until beautifully brown and done.

Variations on this: cinnamon raisin bagels...add some cinnamon and raisins (maybe some honey if you like) to the dough and then make the bagels in the same way.
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Different flours for bread

cool recipe above.

Yes you can mix flours. I like the consistancy of bread flour over regular all purpose, but that's just because everytime I make bread with all purpose I get a ginormous loaf. I almost always replace half the flour with whole wheat. You can switch out cup for cup, and will end up with different consistancies taste etc. The more whole wheat you add will add more time to your kneading, or if you make dough in a bread machine it will be the same.
I also like to make potato bread with instant potatoes. There are some great recipes on and
Christ following and SAHM Upcycled Fashions and Wool Creations
Kestlyn is offline   Reply With Quote