Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

That's crazy. I nursed my dd at my other dd's concert in November. I have never heard of such a thing and here's what really has me ticked is that she told this to your dd. That's innapropriate imo. I don't think she had any right to tell a 9yr. old "Sure your mom can come as long as she doesn't feed your brother". Yea, that sends a great message to kids. Ugh. I would definetly call the school and then if they agree with the teacher, go to the park anyways lol. They can't stop you from being in a public park just because it happens to be at the same time as a school field trip.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Holy cow! It's a public park! They can not tell you you can't feed your child there. Definitely call and then update us on what they said!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I would definitely know the 'law" and call.... are you kidding??! oh and I would be going on that trip for sure. I don't get it...whats "inappropriate", nothing except her comment to your DD i would take that up w/the principal; if the teacher had an "issue" she should not have involved a student but gone to you.

(...umm they better be excluding all types of infant feeding as well) insert sarcasm here

cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows View Post
I have not volunteered in my older childrens third grade class this year because of DS2. But my DD asked her teacher if I could bring the baby on a field trip to a public park. Her response was that I was welcome to bring the baby as long as didn't breastfeed as it would be "inappropriate" . I am fuming ! I didn't call into the school yet just in case am overreacting. What would you do?

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008
That is DISCRIMINATION and I would be calling ACLU and also the school board and also the breast feeding leagues. They cannot stop you as long as you arent popping your boob out without being covered they cannot tell you that. I would be pissed And I wouldn't shut up about it. You have a right to feed your kid your boob and not the bottle. And if more people breastfed we wouldnt have to explain to other ppls kids how a baby eats. Our bodies are made this way did they have bottles back in the early days of civilization How bout that for a history lesson. DONT SIT ON IT COMPLAIN!
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Holy cow!

I would call and ask about their BFing policy ... seeing as how it will be at a public park
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd start with the principal, if you don't like that response, go to the superintendent, and if that doesn't' do any good, the school board. If that gives you an unsatisfactory reply, I'd go straight to the news stations. That's crap!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can see if your boobs were hanging out for everyone to see, but if you're nursing that's completely different! I would go...AND nurse while sitting next to the teacher!!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Whoa. I would talk to the teacher personally before going over her head. But, she needs to be apologizing and making it right immediately. Tell her you will be discrete and all that jazz, but come on! This is 2009, lady!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, can I add, when I was teaching and on maternity leave, I brought my son (at about a month old) on field trips with my kids and BREASTFED in front of them! I just wore my hooter hider. None of my parents complained. I even went to visit them and have holiday celebrations while I was gone, again, brought my son, and BF in front of them. I was discreet, and no one even gave it a second look. I think that's just so wrong!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's all kinds of messed up. The county here doesn't allow siblings to attend any trips, so that's the reason I can't go. But saying a baby can't come because they might breastfeed is absolutely NOT ok. I would definitely talk to the principal, and if I didn't get a good response from him/her I'd go to the school board.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote