Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
chimichanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quick oats

what exactly are quick oats compared to regular old fashioned. Are they par boiled? How do turn them into oatmeal? Just some boiling water, or is that instant? I have some quick oats I'd like to bring to work and eat. Should I just add boiling water and microwave? HELP!

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
athomeangela
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Quick oats

The way we prepare them is to add enough cold/room temp water to cover the oats, then microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and add milk.

You can also use them in most recipes that call for Oats, like cookies. Personally, I prefer using the old fashioned though because they have more bulk to them.
Cake decorating, baking, second generation homeschooling gal married to my for 6.5 years. Busy mom to 3 boys: C - 11/03, J - 5/05 and A - 5/08 and three angel babies 8/06 at 14 weeks, 2/07 at 18 weeks and 6/9/09 at 13 weeks . since 2.5 months with boy #3!
athomeangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use milk, brown sugar, pinch of salt and microwave for 2 minutes (my microwave is old). I like the taste of oatmeal with straight milk.

I'm not sure what the difference is...quick oats seem smaller...are they cut more? I use quick oats for microwave oatmeal and old fashioned for everything else.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is...quick oats seem smaller...are they cut more?
That's exactly the difference: old-fashioned oats are just rolled oats, quick oats are chopped up after being rolled, so they cook faster.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote