Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #21
Mom2MyBugs
Registered Users

Re: Birth tubs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MyBugs View Post
Has anyone just used their regular bathtub? I have a *LARGE* tub in my master bath. When I fill it up and sit in it, the water comes up to my breasts.

Jen

That's what we will be using. My midwife said it should work perfectly. Ours is nice because it has jets too. She just said to clean it out really well and disinfect it before using it for birth.
Have you found a good way to disinfect your jets? Mine is a jet tub, too. We never use the jets because they shoot out little black flakes .

I'm dreaming anyway. . . my DH is a physician and he'd probably never agree to a homebirth, esp since we live 30 minutes from both local hospitals. One of them has a birthing tub, but I've been reluctant to go there, in part, because that is the hospital where DH and FIL (also a doc) work and EVERYONE would be all up in my business
Jen

Advertisement

Mom2MyBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #22
~Stephanie~
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MyBugs View Post
Have you found a good way to disinfect your jets? Mine is a jet tub, too. We never use the jets because they shoot out little black flakes .

I'm dreaming anyway. . . my DH is a physician and he'd probably never agree to a homebirth, esp since we live 30 minutes from both local hospitals. One of them has a birthing tub, but I've been reluctant to go there, in part, because that is the hospital where DH and FIL (also a doc) work and EVERYONE would be all up in my business
Jen

Our jets did that when we first used them this fall (after sitting all summer) I filled the tub with HOT water and added vinegar. I ran that through the jets for 10 mins and they have been fine since then. I will probaby do that again before the baby comes, but we use them pretty regularly so they stay clean.
Mommy to Cameron (8) Isabel (6) Parker (4) and Wyatt just turned 1! Expecting baby #5 on October 17th, 2008.
~Stephanie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #23
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stephanie~ View Post
Our jets did that when we first used them this fall (after sitting all summer) I filled the tub with HOT water and added vinegar. I ran that through the jets for 10 mins and they have been fine since then. I will probaby do that again before the baby comes, but we use them pretty regularly so they stay clean.
You might try a little bleach too to kill the germs in there.. then rinse real good!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #24
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am impressed with all of you ladies! I want a HB but my husband is saying no way!!!!!!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #25
Mom2MyBugs
Registered Users

I did use bleach the last time I ran them. . . haven't tried to run them since. Maybe I'll try the vinegar. I think the previous owners of the house didn't take very good care of it (we've only been here 2 1/2 yrs).

Jen
Mom2MyBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I have a minute, so I wanted to update and tell you how it went for me.

The pool was my lifesaver during the last couple hours. I really don't think I could have remained sane without it. We had two hoses - one to constantly siphon (sp?) water OUT of the pool (into the bathtub) and one hooked up to the hot water on the washing maching to constantly trickle more hot water in, to keep the temperature steady.

I DID flood my house completely. But, I rent, I have hardwoods, so I didn't care. When his head was crowning, I pushed down way too hard on the side and water flooded out everywhere. But, other than that, the water stayed in the pool.

I am 5'1" and I could have floated on my back and then some. Didn't, but could have. The sides were perfect for draping my arms over - they were sturdy and didn't hurt my underarms. I didn't have anything under it, and it was on a hard floor, but the bottom was still soft enough that it wasn't hard on my knees. The water came up to my mid-back the way I was positioned most of the time, and the one time I sat on my butt, it more than covered my belly.

My husband climbed in with me after I broke my water and he started to crown, and he just sat comfortably on the other side of the pool away from me until it was time to catch Henry. So, it was plenty big enough for two people.

Clean up was the best - drained (siphoned) the pool, stabbed it (to deflate) stuffed it in a garbage bag and that was that.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #27
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

you make it sound so easy...lol i am so happy your birth went great mama!!
your son is handsome!!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #28
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

The pool was my lifesaver during the last couple hours. I really don't think I could have remained sane without it. We had two hoses - one to constantly siphon (sp?) water OUT of the pool (into the bathtub) and one hooked up to the hot water on the washing maching to constantly trickle more hot water in, to keep the temperature steady.

I DID flood my house completely. But, I rent, I have hardwoods, so I didn't care. When his head was crowning, I pushed down way too hard on the side and water flooded out everywhere. But, other than that, the water stayed in the pool.

I am 5'1" and I could have floated on my back and then some. Didn't, but could have. The sides were perfect for draping my arms over - they were sturdy and didn't hurt my underarms. I didn't have anything under it, and it was on a hard floor, but the bottom was still soft enough that it wasn't hard on my knees. The water came up to my mid-back the way I was positioned most of the time, and the one time I sat on my butt, it more than covered my belly.

My husband climbed in with me after I broke my water and he started to crown, and he just sat comfortably on the other side of the pool away from me until it was time to catch Henry. So, it was plenty big enough for two people.

Clean up was the best - drained (siphoned) the pool, stabbed it (to deflate) stuffed it in a garbage bag and that was that.
I would love to know what model kiddy pool you had LJ
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #29
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
I would love to know what model kiddy pool you had LJ
lol..I was thinking the same thing...not that you are joking OOey but In my mind I was thinking the kiddie pools were those small plastic ones that we played in as kids?? I didnt know they made inflatable kiddie pools?? Id like to get one for MIkey!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #30
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

You got the 29 dollar one right? I have thought about that one alot but now that you say the sides are not as sturdy I think I will be going for the La Bassine... I been wanting to ask you about your experiance but did not want to bother you and little henry! Thanks so much for remembering this thread!!!!

For those of you who need links:
this is the one I THINK LJ had: http://www.birthwithsol.com/birthpool.html

The La Bassine: http://yourwaterbirth.com/catalog/pr...f96f3489743f78
Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post