Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
My Mood:
Post a recipe

I am doing this little project and I was hoping some of you DS mamas would help out. Its a project for grad school, but it would also just be cool to share these.

Anyhow, if you want to help, post your favorite recipe that best represents your hospitality. (a dish, appetizer, dessert, or drink that you would make for your very best guests).

This can be a favorite dish of yours and it does not have a high end dish. I just want it to be something you would make for those you love or those you want to have a wonderful meal.

Thank you in advance for helping me out. If you prefer you can PM me the recipe too.

I think this will be fun to share our recipes.

Stocking at Green Tree Threads

Last edited by ekmaurer3; 04-12-2009 at 05:37 PM.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
My Mood:
Re: Post a recipe

anyone? please!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Okay, I will jump in. This is a very simple, and by all means, non healthy recipe...except for maybe the raspberry garnish!

Moose Delight

1 family box of instant chocolate pudding (make according to pkg directions)
1 large container of cool whip (I use the lite)
mint leaves

optional: powdered sugar, chocolate syrup

Okay, mix up the pudding according to pkg. Once it is mixed add 1/2 the container of cool whip. Taste. You may add a little more cool whip if the chocolate is still pretty dominant. Place into individual dessert bowls. Put in fridge. When time to serve take out of fridge and add a dollop of cool whip on top of the to the side. Now take a few mint leaves and place on the cool whip. Now take two or three raspberries and place on cool whip. Take a dessert plate and drizzle syrup all over it and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Place dessert bowl on place. Beautiful and yummy!
< Rachel >
SAHM , married to a wonderful, sexy hubby with two little boys and two little girls, and two little angels that grew wings before we ever got to meet them

Last edited by rdossmann; 04-13-2009 at 07:04 AM.
rdossmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Here are a few of my families favorites

Banana Fruit Bread

1/2 c shortening (I've used half butter with good results)
1 c sugar
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 bananas (I've always used 3 doesn't seem to matter if they're large or small)
1/4 c chocolate chips
1/4 c chopped nuts (we use walnuts but have made it without nuts)
1/2 c chopped maraschino cherries
(I also use maybe a tablespoon of cherry juice)

Cream shortening and sugar, then add eggs. Beat well. Combine flour soda and salt. Mash bananas. add flour mixture alternatively, with mashed bananas into the shortening mixture and mix well. Then add the remaining ingredients (chocolate chips, nuts, and cherries)

Place into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for an hour you may need to cover it to wards the end so it doesn't get too dark. Instead of using a loaf pan one batch fills 3 baby loaf pans nicely and they make great additions to gift baskets. I bake baby loafs for about 35min then cover loosley with foil and continue to bake for another 15-20min.

And this also freezes well. It's almost better frozen and thawed because all the flavors blend so nicely. Generally it doesn't make it to the freezer around here

Overnight Buns
To be started at aprox 7pm

4 cups warm water in large bowl. Add 1 cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 1pkg yeast, 2 cups all purpose flour, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 6-8 cups flour. Dough should be slightly sticky. Let rise at room temp for aproximately 2 hours. Knead down and let rise 1 1/2 - 2 hours more. Roll dough to aprox 1/2 inch and cut with cutter (buscit cutter works good). Place on greased cookie sheet aprox 2" apart. Cover with light cloth, and leave at room temp overnight. Bake at 400 degrees 12-15 minutes until golden.

makes aprox 6 dozen

1 pound bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp season salt
1 tomato - peeled, seeded and diced

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels.
In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and sour cream, season salt. Crumble bacon into the sour cream and mayonnaise mixture. Mix in tomatoes just before serving.

I serve this in a bread bowl lined with lettuce leaves (the only way to add the L) then serve with pre-sliced baby bread circles found in the bakery section near the bread bowls. I've taken this to 3 functions now and it's been gone down to the bread bowl.
Wife to Lee since 8/95 and mom to Eryn 9/03 & Emily 1/06
ericak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
My Mood:

thank you both.

Anyone else?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

This makes two pans, one to eat and one to freeze. It's absolutely delicious and so easy to make!

Chicken Cacciatore (Two 9 x 13 pans)

12 chicken thighs or legs
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 onion

3 28 ounce cans of plum tomatoes with juice
2 cups of chicken broth
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 strips of orange peel
2 bay leaves

Slice peppers and onion thinly and cook in olive oil until wilted.

In each of two 9 x 13 baking dishes add half the veggies, 1-1/2 cans of the tomatoes, 1cup of broth, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning, tsp salt, tsp pepper, 2 strips orange peel and 1 bay leaf. Arrange six chicken thighs in the pan.

Bake on 375 for 1 hour and 10 minutes turning every 20 minutes and stirring 3 or 4 times. Cool completely, cover with foil and freeze one!
Trish, SAHM to Kate, Daniel and Marina
pbresolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Chicken parmigiana....

And I'm guessing on measurments, because this is one that I just throw together because I've made it so much.

4 Chicken breast halves (boneless skinnelss)
1 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 egg (you may need 2) beaten well
Fresh mozzarella cheese (shredded works too, I just prefer whole slices)
Spaghetti sauce (any brand or home made..whatever you choose, I really like Ragu)
spaghetti noodles
Water for cooking the noodles,
Olive oile for pan frying the chicken.

Beat egg
Mix 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs with 1/2 cup of parmesean cheese, mix thouroughly.
pour spag sauce into a glass baking dish (I use a 9x13 for this recipe).
Preheat your oven to 350 degress.

pour enough olive oil in your pan to coat the bottom, and to be about 1/4 inch deep. Heat on medium until hot.

Coat each piece of chicken in the egg, then coat in the bread crumb mixture. Fry in the oil for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the top and bottom are golden brown.

Place each chicken breast on top of the spaghetti sauce. Place in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes.

At the end of 30 minutes, cut a slit in one piece of chicken to check for done-ness. If it's done, put a slice of mozzarella cheese on each piece of chicken, cover with foil, bake another 15 minutes. Take foil off, broil until cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown.

Remove chicken to a serving dish, and remove pasta sauce to a serving bowl. Serve chicken and sauce with penne pasta or spaghetti.

My other favorite is a vairation on chicken parm....

Cut your chicken into small pieces (or use chicken strips) coat in the egg and the bread crumbs, but then fry the little pieces in the olive oil until all sides are golden brown, and chicken is cooked through.

Serve on a warm bed of thin spaghetti, and top with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesean cheese.

The best garlic bread to go with these....

Get a loaf of Italian bread. Split the loap into top and bottom pieces. Bake in the oven at 350 until bread is warm. Turn on the broiler and broil until the top of the bread is golden brown.

Peel a clove of garlic. Cut a small pice off of the top. Take the large piece of garlic and rub it all over the pieces of bread. You'll notice that the clove is getting smaller, the bread is grateing the garlic onto itself. Brusht the bread with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt.

For cheese bread.... after sprinkling with salt, sprinkle your shredded mozzarella cheese on top, or lay a slice of mozzarella cheese on the bread, and return to the broiler until the cheese is melty, bubbly, and has brown spots.

This is THE BESET garlic bread EVER!!!!!

God bless,
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote