Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #111
MommyBear
Registered Users

Re: OxyClean + Vinegar -----> WOWSA!!

How did everyone fare on the cleanliness of OxyClean & Vinegar? And how much of each did everyone use?

Advertisement

MommyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #112
greenmamato3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so afte the 4th page of these posts, i'm getting overwhelmed and confused on everyone's tricks. can you do this oxy-vinegar combo often? do only MF get ammonia stink? wet diapers are supposed to smell a LITTLE bit, right? i mean, after all . . . it's pee. is ammonia stink just really a STRONG pee smell or what?
can you put oxyclean (versatile, right?) in every wash no matter what kind of detergent you're using? i have charlies and biokleen detergent. hmmmm.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #113
LibertyChic
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't tried this trick yet, but have been following the thread, and think I can answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato3 View Post
so afte the 4th page of these posts, i'm getting overwhelmed and confused on everyone's tricks. can you do this oxy-vinegar combo often?
I would say only do the "big soak" as often as necessary... probably not more than once a month, I would imagine, and only to get the big stinkies out.

Quote:
do only MF get ammonia stink?
No, any diaper can get that stink.

Quote:
wet diapers are supposed to smell a LITTLE bit, right? i mean, after all . . . it's pee. is ammonia stink just really a STRONG pee smell or what?
The ammonia stink they are referring to is a "burn your nose-hairs and eyelids off" type of stink. You can't miss it. The Oxy/Vinegar is also supposed to be good for those poopie stinks that get stuck.

Quote:
can you put oxyclean (versatile, right?) in every wash no matter what kind of detergent you're using? i have charlies and biokleen detergent. hmmmm.
Yes, I believe you can, though those who use those detergents should be able to better answer this question.

HTH!
LibertyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #114
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyChic View Post
I haven't tried this trick yet, but have been following the thread, and think I can answer your questions.

I would say only do the "big soak" as often as necessary... probably not more than once a month, I would imagine, and only to get the big stinkies out.

No, any diaper can get that stink.

The ammonia stink they are referring to is a "burn your nose-hairs and eyelids off" type of stink. You can't miss it. The Oxy/Vinegar is also supposed to be good for those poopie stinks that get stuck.

Yes, I believe you can, though those who use those detergents should be able to better answer this question.

HTH!

Thanks Mama! You were right on! I haven't NEEDED to re-use the Oxy-Vinegar combo since the first soak. I have been using them a lot and washing every 3rd-5th day and there hasn't been even a hint of stink at all.
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #115
AllyAsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for those that tried this - did the stink return? are you adding oxy clean and vinegar to every wash now to maintain the cleanliness?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #116
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato3 View Post
so afte the 4th page of these posts, i'm getting overwhelmed and confused on everyone's tricks. can you do this oxy-vinegar combo often? do only MF get ammonia stink? wet diapers are supposed to smell a LITTLE bit, right? i mean, after all . . . it's pee. is ammonia stink just really a STRONG pee smell or what?
I didn't know ammonia stink until I got some hemp inserts from FSOT. I wouldn't use oxyclean in all my loads because I have heard it is bad for pul and I wash all of my dipes together. The stink I had was as soon as my baby peed and it was BAD. I guess it was really bad build up. I have not had any stink since I tried this! If it ever returns, I will do what I did before. It was fun anyways.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #117
vlinderanna
Registered Users

My Mood:

omg this thread reminds me of "piranah solution" you use to clean glass in a chemical lab (which is sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide, extremely dangerous), only turned down a notch, a huge notch thank goodness
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #118
OKKiddo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyAsh View Post
for those that tried this - did the stink return? are you adding oxy clean and vinegar to every wash now to maintain the cleanliness?
I have been doing a regular wash with just detergent and Calgon since the dunk in the concoction. I haven't had ANY stinkies return at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anahrose View Post
I didn't know ammonia stink until I got some hemp inserts from FSOT. I wouldn't use oxyclean in all my loads because I have heard it is bad for pul and I wash all of my dipes together. The stink I had was as soon as my baby peed and it was BAD. I guess it was really bad build up. I have not had any stink since I tried this! If it ever returns, I will do what I did before. It was fun anyways.
Glad you had fun, lol! It was pretty cool seeing it bubble up the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlinderanna View Post
omg this thread reminds me of "piranah solution" you use to clean glass in a chemical lab (which is sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide, extremely dangerous), only turned down a notch, a huge notch thank goodness
OMG! I've never heard of that and it sounds pretty dangerous! WOW!
OKKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #119
2incloth
Registered Users

Wow! The beginning of this thread make me LOL!! I had a nice visual from your description!! I'm glad so many people are having good results.

Anyone have this combo work with a FL and hard water? When ever I try vinegar it seems to make things worse.
2incloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #120
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I am doing this! My diapers stink no matter what I do!
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote