Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cough, what do yall think?

My 6mo has had a cough for over a month now. It started with a cold that he had for a couple weeks, but he slowly got over that. He still has a cough, and it wakes him up at night and makes him throw up. We just had his 6month wbv, and I mentioned it to the dr and she said he looked fine. His ears, nose and throat were just fine, his lungs sounded clear. I don't know what to do, I can't sleep at all and I am just so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open. He sleeps with me, so I am the one up with him and cleaning up vomit and changing clothes all night long Sometimes he wakes up crying, for no obvious reason. He has started teething, I think, so I think that's related to teething pain. He's too young for cough medicine, the steamy bathroom doesn't do a darn thing, and I have no idea what else to do to get rid of this cough??? Help me mamas!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cough, what do yall think?

coughs are tough, because they can start because of an illness but then they become a habit for the body and can be really hard to stop. you could give him "herbs for kids elderberry syrup" (you can buy it at iherb-- i have a discount coupon code if you are interested) it is all natural so even at 6 mos he can have it. also make him sleep more upright- if he is sleeping with you prop up your mattress by putting pillows or blankets UNDER the mattress part at the head of the bed and then by having his head chest propped against you. when he does cough during the day try and get him distracted from the reflex by nursing or playing etc. --this is really hard but just keep trying it.
hope you guys get some sleep soon
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would definitely be interested in the elderberry syrup, definitely worth a try! So if I understood you right, he got the cough because of a cold, and now his body is just used to coughing so it doesn't know to stop? I really never would have thought of that!

Would you mind pm'ing me that discount code? Thanks mama
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
SwaddleBums
Registered Users
Formerly: kajira
seller

My Mood:

coughs are tricky... if you want a second opinion I would take your LO to see a pulmonary doc. my LO has asthma like I do, so she gets the coughs... I would be concerned if the coughs were accompanied by 1- fever and 2 - wheezing.

And / or could also be post nasal drip when he goes to sleep. try propping him up on a reg full size pillow placed UNDER the fitted sheet to elevate the head. try some saline drops too.. little noses is good.

If it is only at night it could he PN drip. That tends to wake them up coughing.. that could happen from allergies... or even teething... all that extra saliva..

HTH.. good luck..