Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shouldn't I know what I'm doing by now??? (sleep issues, feeding issues, etc!) LONG!

About letting him cry- when he wakes in the middle of the night he usually cries for several minutes before I realize he's crying (generally I'm dreaming that he's crying, then finally wake up and realize he really is!). So, he's definitely awake. After nursing, if he won't go back to sleep, I'll give him the paci and let him fuss for a bit, sometimes he'll go back to sleep. If not, I sometimes give in and bring him to our bed just so I can get some sleep. Sometimes I fall asleep holding him in the recliner in his room too.

I'm sure it's something in the milk because this is just like what ds1 had, and he finally got 100% better when we switched him to Neocate.

Today ds3 had 2 poops that were green, mucusy, and had a bit of blood in them.

And yet when dh got home tonight ds was content to sit in his carseat on the kitchen floor and let us eat (and had been sitting there the whole time I was cooking!).

I feel like I'm in a constant game of Chutes and Ladders. Up and down, up and down, never quite reaching the end. Today I had decided I was going to ask dh if we can go ahead and do a trial with Alimentum. And then of course ds seems like he's feeling a little better this evening, so I doubt that decision. Dh wants us to wait till ds is 4 mo old before we decide anything because he thinks the fun of getting to play in the exersaucer will help distract him from the pain. Who knows.

Well, if I decide to go with formula I'll be all set with bottle warmers- I picked up a house one and a car one from FSOT for a great price! (Hopefully I'll end up just needing them for breastmilk bottles for dh to feed him; trying to be optimistic...)

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shouldn't I know what I'm doing by now??? (sleep issues, feeding issues, etc!) LONG!

Is your baby able to hold up his head unassisted? I ask cuz we put DD in a saucer at 3 months and she did great. She was able to hold up her head earlier than average though.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

That's Great that you had a better night. If he's around three months old he should be beginning to grow out of reflux. The exercsaucer (sp?) is a great idea if he'll do that. Do you have a swing? Does he stay in it at all? Remember if you are cutting dairy you have to watch for anything with lactose stuff in it. When I was told that my dd could have a dairy allergy I started looking at EVERYTHING that had it in it and I couldn't BELIEVE how many things you wouldn't think had it did!
Hopefully everything will work out and you'll start getting the much needed rest. All babies are different. Even though he's got the same symptoms it doesn't nec. mean that it would simply take the same fix. Good luck. I thought about you and situation all night. I know it must be difficult. You should feel good about yourself for not giving up too easy!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, feeling better this morning! He did wake up a couple of times last night, and did fuss quite a bit after eating at 4 am, but I just brought him to bed with me and kept giving him his pacifier until he finally fell asleep.

I think I just need to get through the rough days and deal with it, because the good days seem to be increasing (now that it's a new day and I'm able to think about this rationally!).

The reflux definitely has decreased. He used to get hiccups and gulp a lot after EVERY feeding. Now it doesn't happen as often.

We have an exersaucer. I've always waited till 4 months to put my kids in it. ds3 can hold his head up for very short periods of time, I'm not sure if he'd be able to sit in the saucer for very long.

I did finish making him a play mat (actually a quilt that has a couple of ribbons with velcro on them, that I'm using to attach toys to it so the other kids don't walk off with his toys!) and I've already given ds3 some more tummy time than he has been getting. He seems to like it, plus when he gets tired he lays down his head and doesn't complain.

I think I had gotten so deep into the mode of expecting ds to fuss and cry, that when he has better days I don't really notice/remember, and when he has bad days I get really depressed about it.

Thanks for the advice and for just letting me talk through this. Today I'm really feeling like I can keep nursing through this, and I'm very hopeful he'll outgrow all this soon!
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

That's AWESOME! WTG momma! I hope things work out for you, I'm sure they will. Good luck!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote