Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
trinmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm torn

Hey ladies, it's been MONTHS since I was on here...and now I'm back because I was going to post all my dipes for sale.

BUT, now that I'm back on here, I kinda want to give cd a try again. I haven't been doing it for several months, probably 5. Then my youngest dd started solids and has more solid poo that can be easily dumped, so I thought what the heck, try again. Well, I did, and UGH!! The diaper stench was awful!! Super-pee ammonia ick smell. EWWWWWWWWWW. My dh prefers disposable, but he'll do cd if I wanted. Anyway we only did it part-time.

So, I know you'll all support me in giving it another go, but I really really really need to get rid of the stink. They shouldn't be stinky after one pee, should they? I'm using BG and FB.

And to make my indecision worse, I see that BG has pink dipes now. So cute!!! ugh...why does it have to be so hard to decide?

Thanks for your de-stink advice and support!

Advertisement

Yes, I'm trying out the cloth again. Maybe I should stick with it this time.
trinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm torn

It is probably your inserts that are making them stink. Try washing them with a little bleach and see if that helps.

Or you could boil the inserts to get the stink out if you didn't want to use bleach.

We only CD part time as well, so I have to remind myself that just b/c it takes 4 days for the wetbag to get full, I need to wash before then so they don't have time to sit and "marinate" lol.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seconding the inserts; throw a tiny bit of bleach in with them, and see if that helps. Your pockets could probably use a good strip, too, just to make sure they're in perfect working order.

The first time I CDd (with DS2), I didn't start until he was 10 months, and had solid poo; CDing Logan from about 2 months on has definitely been different, with the peanut butter poo! But I can tell a definite difference in his skin when we CD, AND it's a heckuva lot cheaper (unless you're a collector ) than an $18 pack of sposies every week or so.

Good luck!!
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
trinmama
Registered Users
seller

I thought bleach was bad for dipes?

Yes, I'm trying out the cloth again. Maybe I should stick with it this time.
trinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't use it on the actual pockets b/c of the PUL and nylon, but it won't hurt the inserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinmama View Post
I thought bleach was bad for dipes?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol, it's recently been discovered as long as you don't use a crap house of bleach and on a regular basis bleach is FINE! in fact there are some mama's on here that use 1/4 cup or more everytime they wash and have no problems. sure maybe you're diapers won't live to be 5 years old, but do you really need them that long ?

i personally about every 4-8 weeks throw in 2 capfuls (2 tablespoons) of bleach (sometimes more, just depends). just to keep bacteria at bay...we need to remember what our dc are doing in these diapers, and why poo is poo in the first place. yes tto can kill some bacteria...but there is some that it unfortunately just doesn't. anyhow, when i bleach i also strip my diapers as well. this gets out any buildup, and the remainder of the bleach that is clinging to the diapers (i push them through about 5 times regardless of bubbles).

see stink can be caused by a few things. #1 build up of detergent, this can be taken care of by stripping. #2 bacteria. if your diapers weren't smelling last time you used them...then i'm going with bacteria on this one....that has been sitting and multiplying for the months that you haven't used them.

so mama....fill the washer with COLD water...in this case i'd go ahead and put in 1/4 cup bleach, let it agitate a min to distribute the bleach then put in the inserts. i'm not sure how many you have but i would only do about 16 at a time to give them to most agitating space at a time. i'd let them soak for about 30-60 minutes then run it. after this do a hot wash w/detergent. then strip them. my favorite way to strip is in the dishwasher. just do a forum search for that lol...there's several threads on it already.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote