Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
how much formula

I am starting to give my breastfed boy formula.. after the death of my grandmother.. my supply is being shot.. ( I nursed two other children WELL past a year ) and It is just easier to let him nurse in the morning and at night.. so my question is.. how much formula should a 5mth old eat at one time.. and how ofter. William eats 8ozs of milk with cereal in the morning .. then 6-8 ozs every 3-4 hours.. during the day .. then another 8oz cereal at night. And when do I start adding food ( carrots ect ) to his diet.. you think I should just wait longer? Thanks mommas

SAHM of 4 kiddos&
Kickboxed for years
medicated for reason .
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
My Mood:
Re: how much formula

How often does he usually nurse when you ebf? 8oz seems like a whole lot especially for a 5 mo old ebf baby. DD bf'd often - like every 1-2 hrs, and the most she ate from a bottle was 4 oz at that time. That would satisfy her until about 2 hrs later. If he's getting lots of bm from you at a time, and going 4-6 hrs between nursings then I'd start out w/5 oz and go from there. The thing is that with a bottle he doesn't have to work for it, and it trickles down his throat really easy - so you don't want to stuff him w/formula when he's really already full kwim?

We didn't start any solids (including cereal) until 6 mos, but DD refused them entirely until 8 mos. I wouldn't push any other solids until at least 6 months old bc of allergy issues, and his tummy isn't ready for them until then. When you do start be sure your waiting 4 days before introducing a new food to watch for signs of allergies.

I'm sorry your going thru the things you are w/your gramma.
Kerstyn's world Mommy's facebook
blissfullyblessed is offline   Reply With Quote