Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
aschrimp
Registered Users

Sock loss

We can't seem to hold on to ds's socks.

He takes them off to suck on every chance he gets, which means that they are ALWAYS getting left in weird places (I found one in my casserole dish the other day), and getting dropped. But I can't imagine that he can hide or drop THIS many socks - I mean, if we aren't going anywhere, he goes barefoot unless it's super cold, since he won't keep the socks on, anyway. I have to put him in shoes to keep socks on, and that only lasts until he can get the shoes off.

I just went and bought 4 8-packs of baby socks because I was sick and tired of hunting for 20 min to find a pair. We've gone through at least 3 packages in the past 3-4 months, and when I finished laundry, I only had 2 pairs of socks that matched, and another 2 pairs that were "close enough" - lol.

Any spiffy long-time mom tricks for keeping track of them?

Should I have DH disassemble the washer and dryer next time to look for them (that's where my mom says they go)?

Advertisement

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Re: Sock loss

LOL we have the same problem! I just had to go and buy shoes for her last week because thats the only way she'll keep the socks on. Another trick that I've found works great is babylegs over them, it only works with the knee-high kind not the ankle socks and even then it's not fool proof. I really wouldn't care if it wern't so cold here, and now that she is up on her feet a lot the sucking on them thing is gross
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Oh yeah one thing that works for Whilder is putting tights on her, but I don't think that would fly for your ds and that sometimes results in wet footed tights. What about footed pants though or footed sleepers?
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They need to make something like this in a children's size. Who knows, maybe they do and I just can't find them...

Shirt stays

DH uses them with his work uniform. I joke that they". LOL

ETA: THey are used to keep their shirts tucked in, but it keeps their socks up/on too!!

Last edited by mommyto2presidents; 02-04-2007 at 11:26 AM.
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
courtfrog2
Registered Users
seller

I have the same problem!!! I actually have a huge grocery bag full of socks that do not have matches. Well, there are probably matches in the bag, but thats where I put the socks that didn't have matches that I"m folding at the time. Someday I will go through the sock bag and see if I can save some. My 7 year old loses the most socks because she doesn't always put them in her laundry basket.

Court
Old 02-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We lose them all the time. I just always try to by the same brand so that I can always get a match LOL
Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still wondering that myself. Where do they all go?

I have thought about putting all of her socks in a lingerie bag and washing them like that so I know they won't disappear. But that takes so much extra effort to remember to do that!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

We misplace and lose socks all the time. I know they're not in my dryer because we opened that up in the summer to repair it and there weren't any in there.

Older ds takes his socks off by the TV and they end up behind the couch. When I remember to look there, I end up with a pile of his socks. He is also very picky about how his socks feel, so I have been through a lot of styles of socks with him. When I finally found one he liked and that he would put on himself I bought 18 pairs of the same type. Of course we can never find a pair when he is getting dressed, but I just matched all the socks yesterday and he has a ton of socks in his drawer. Younger ds takes his socks off in the car every chance he gets. He does chew on them sometimes but we are thankfully mostly past that stage, after a few years of him chewing on his sleeves and destroying a lot of clothes.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dunno. Drives me nuts--especially when I finally get some of those new, pricey Trumpette Mary Jane sox and from the time they went into the washer till the time I'm folding them, 3 have disappeared. Wahh???
Maybe we should have a thread on FSOT looking for matches. I'd buy them, for sure! It's those Trumpette's and Gymbo socks that kill me. When I put DD in her cute mushroom/hedgehog Gymbo outfit and I KNOW there's a matching mushroom sock out there somewhere, I am sad.
My Mom convinced me to start using a lingerie bag to put the socks in--it's tied onto DD's hamper. Problem is that 3 diff. people watch DD during the week, so the socks can get lost at their house, in all of our cars, etc. SO frustrating! I just hit Walmart the other day and am going to send only those cheap sox w/ DD to the babysitter's. I'll save her 'nice' sox for when she's w/ me.