Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how many fluid oz does a 1 lb can of alimentum make?

Ok, not weaning yet, but still considering it, because ds is having yet another bad day (allergic colitis and silent reflux). Just so dh and I have a good idea of what it would cost, can anyone tell me how many fluid oz a 1 lb can of alimentum powder makes? I need to figure out how many days a can would last so we can budget for this if need be. I looked at the similac website and could not find the information.

Thanks!

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
kyle98sean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how many fluid oz does a 1 lb can of alimentum make?

I dont know but My ds is so sensitive too and I always feel like I hurt him He does worse on formula though and wont touch the hypoallergenic ones, but he's 10 months old now and has an opinion on everything
Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went through this with ds1 and nothing I changed with my diet ever helped, so at 7 mo we put him on hypoallergenic formula. He wouldn't take it at first so I ended up having to wean him cold turkey. After a couple of days he got used to the taste of the formula and did fine. I finally had a happy baby. I hated having to do it that way, but when the baby has a choice between breastmilk and hypoallergenic formula, which do you think they'll choose?

I also feel bad when ds is upset because I know something (or lots of things) I'm eating cause this. Cutting out major allergens doesn't totally help. Dh and I have agreed that maybe we would be better parents to him if we went ahead and did what we know will help him feel better (put on formula). Everytime he screams in pain now we both feel bad because we know there's a solution.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
kyle98sean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its so hard when you want it to work and it isn't If I remember correctly, my ds 1 was on nutramigen and I want to say it made 90 something oz. but I could be way off. I know what you mean. We still have days I cant pinpoint what I ate but I know it was something that didnt sit right. The scream is unlike any other cry when its digestive. Hopefully someone can give you the info you need. Also, you might want to ask your dr. for samples. Mine gave me a free can every time I came in. My sil had the same dr. and whined to him how much it cost and he would give her a case. I guess the formula company used to give it to him to give out as samples. Of course I learned this after we were beyond that stage
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a good idea about the samples. Our doctor always suggested Nutramigen when we were going through this with ds1. He didn't do very well on it at that point (2 mo old; it was just a trial and I ended up continuing breastfeeding him for 5 more months). By the time we put him on formula for good, we used neocate first and then switched to the alimentum once he was healed up. I guess he probably would have done okay on the nutramigen at that point; but I figured I'd try the alimentum instead. Since we had success with alimentum before, that's what I'd like to use this time if we put him on formula.

Anyway, since the dr is always mentioning nutramigen, do you think he only has samples of that? Or do they probably have samples from both companies? dh is in school so this will be hard on us financially, so I'm sure the doctor would definitely be willing to give me samples if I ask (also going to go to ebay to buy!)
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Got the answer! According to drugstore.com a 1 lb can makes approx 115 fl oz of formula (in case anyone else wanted to know too). That's good. A can will last longer than I thought.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Def. ask for samples at the Ped. office!! When my son had to be on lactose free stuff, they gave me a bunch of cans!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

like the last poster suggested - ask the peds office for samples!! They get them for free, and I only had to spend like $100 for formula during the 5 months we had to use it (DD was on it til 14 mos). DD's ped told me to always call them before I went out to buy any.

We used enfamil nutramigen, and I stopped nursing DD at 9 mos. Her problem was with cow's milk, but my milk supply was just not enough for her. My only option was to go on meds to raise it since I was doing everything else already, and we couldn't afford them.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but seeing a happy baby that was all around in a better mood was worth it! I feel blessed that we had 9 mos together nursing, and that I didn't give up when we had such a hard time w/latch and supply issues at the start. It saddens me that sooooooo many mommas give up on nursing their lo's when they have no problems with allergies, latch, or supply!! DH's sister did this, and it was just bc she is so stinkin lazy!!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you tried giving him probiotics? sometimes it does help, with my ds it did, just a thought before you break the bank on the expensive formula!! i know i was scared of it... also depending on what his allergy/sensitivity is to and how old he is you could try homemade formula or goats milk.. pm me if you want the recipe for homemade formula!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2under2 View Post
have you tried giving him probiotics? sometimes it does help, with my ds it did, just a thought before you break the bank on the expensive formula!! i know i was scared of it... also depending on what his allergy/sensitivity is to and how old he is you could try homemade formula or goats milk.. pm me if you want the recipe for homemade formula!
Yes, I've been giving him probiotics, and he's still having problems.

I've read about making homemade formulas before, and I don't think that's something I want to do at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions though!