Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Another Carseat Question.. :)

Hello.

After looking though sites and researched just about every carsea there is.. i'm leaning towards Britax. I still hate the thought of spending that much on a carseat, but, I want her in the 5pt harness for longer than.. well Now. lol

she's almost 40 pounds.. (okay, shes like between 30 and 35lbs) but I wanna do this now, because we just got the Tax return.. lol but her head is level with the top of the seat, just about..

Anyway.. she's around 36 inches tall and like I said 30-35lbs. I'm wondering how long it will be before they reach 65lbs? give me a average here.. miranda's in the 50th Percentile if it matters. I'm guessing around 8 or so, am I right?

If that's the case, then I think i can talk him into a Britax. I'd love the Regent, that way I don't have to buy one again, but You can't find them but online, and i'm not wanting to pay the shipping, so I think i'll end up with either the Marathon or the Decathalon (sp?) I can't see buying any of the other seats that go way up in the weight. Was looking at one today at target that is for 5lbs-100lbs.. which sounded wonderful until I saw it went into a booster at miranda's weight now. I can't imagine her being in a booster at her age, she's barely 2! So I guess if i want her in the 5pt harness I have no choice but to spend the money. lol

Anyone have any Idea on the 65lb thing? anyone got any carseats I might not of checked out that are what I need (5pt harness till 80lbs) but you can actually find them at places like target/toys r us? lol

Okay.. Thanks everyone!

jennifer

Advertisement

jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
megincl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Carseat Question.. :)

I think you're probably right about the 8years for the 65lbs. I don't have personal experience as DS is just 3.5, but given how you describe your daughter and what I've heard others say about Britax, you're probably good for up to 7-8years with that one. We're thinking we'll make it to age 6-7 as DS is a chunkster (we have and LOVE the boulevard, by the way)!

good luck!
megin
megincl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have her forward facing I'd go with a Regent, or at the very least a Sunshine Kids Radian 65. Most kids will outgrow a seat by height rather than weight, so you want the highest harness slots. You can almost always find free shipping or $5 flat rate online. The best deals are usually on discontinued covers, which Britax has often. My friend just got her 4 y/o the SK Radian 65. She is just at the second to top slots, but needed the top set to be comfy. However, her almost 8 y/o fit just at the top slots. I'd say she'll get a good 3+ years use out of the Radian65. The Regent can usually be used by average size kids to 9-10. Check the homepage at http://www.cpsafety.com for pics of older kids harnessed.

The first thing you need to determine is how long you want her in a harness. As long as humanly possible equals the Regent. Until, at least 6, then the Radian65.

I'd skip the 65 lb Britaxes unless you want the total side impact protection of the Boulevard. The SK Radian 65 has slightly taller harness slots which means longer use.

You may still need a booster before she's ready for the seat belt alone (check http://www.carseat.org for the 5 step test kids need to pass before going to the seat belt alone). As long as you have head restraints in you vehicle(s) a $20 backless booster will be fine by then.

HTH.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay.. and with that.. anyone know where to get a Regent with free or really cheap shipping? I haven't been able to find it.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had a chance to look. As they become more readily available you should be able to find better deals. They may know at car-seat.org. GL!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Every place I have looked offers free shipping!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Britax-Regent.pro

You'd have it long before she actually "needs" it. I'm sure there's lots of other places too.