Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #11
wiseolegoat1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: egg help!

LOL, to funny!!
I have been raising animals for most of my life...got my first chickens at age 3!
Yes, different breeds of chicken lay different colors of eggs. Also depends on how they are raised too.
Some Examples:
Rhody Reds lay brown eggs,
White leghorns lay white eggs,
Aricauna chickens can lay pink, or green, or blue eggs, but will lay the same color for all of thier lives...they don't change color once they start laying.
Banty chickens are very small, and accordingly they lay very small eggs too!

Free range, chickens, allowed to run around on the ground, peck at bugs and seeds, get more exercize, tend to lay very hard shelled eggs. The yolks on these eggs will often be bright orange! They usually lay every 24 hours.....once in a while they take a day off...but not too often if they get what they need naturally. Also, they don't lay as well when it is freezing out, unless you supplement with extra fat, and a warm place to lay. You will have better laying birds if there is one rooster around...keeps em more productive!

very large conglomerate egg farms tend to cage their birds, feed them hormones to lay more eggs, and leave the lights on 24/7, and keep temperatures a constant around 70 degrees...this will cause the birds to lay an egg every 12 hours...and they usually burn out in a couple years, then get sold for soup! These forced into higher production will usually have much thinner shells! They often have very pale yellow yolks too. They break very easily. The birds are often given extra calcium in thier diets to help this problem, but calcium can be hard to digest and absorb too. Since white eggs sell better, the conglomerates usually use birds that lay white eggs.....white leghorns are popular breed for this.

Also very young birds will lay smaller eggs at first, and get larger as they get older. Very old birds will lay thinner shells on large eggs, as they age...they kinda get like old people where the bones get brittle and calcium has leached out over lifetime. Birds in thier prime lay the best hard shelled eggs.
The fresher the egg, the taller the yolk will stand up in the pan, and the white will not spread very far away from the yolk. The older the egg, the flatter it will be and spread out much farther in the pan.
So now you know more about eggs than you ever thought to ask!!!
Blessings,
Wiseolegoat1

Advertisement

wiseolegoat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

We have Americauna Chickens and they lay green, blue and pink eggs We also have a few hens that lay brown eggs. (and these are full size eggs/chickens, not bannies)

I second the cracking on a hard flat surface
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

IME, the cheaper the eggs the thinner the shell the more egg shells in the food. You will notice a huge difference in the egg shells if you purchase eggs in a store and then go to a farmer and get eggs. The farmer ones are usually thicker, especially in the summer months. Not as much in the winter when they can't roam free(up here in Canada anyhow). In the summer the yolks are practically orange too.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_mom_e View Post
are you serious! I am PMPL...sorry but that's too funny.

They don't Bleach them silly...eggs come in all sorts of colors and sizes and shapes based on the breed of the chicken. White eggs are farmed that way, the shell IS harder because of all the things they feed teh chickens to make the shell harder and more durable, less breaks means more money to the farmer. Brown eggs are USUALLY but (not always) family farm raised, not in the big industrial chicken farms. Therefore the egg is in it's more natural delicate state. but you can get WHITE eggs from those too, it's just the breed of chicken.

as for cracking them, Alton Brown says cracking it on a flat surface helps becuase you aren't forcing the cracked pieces into the egg, just pull the egg apart after you crack it on the surface. HTH

It's true about the flat surface thing too. And another tip, don't "tap, tap, tap" do one strong "whack." It takes a little practice to figure out just how strong the whack should be, but once you get it right, it's way easier to not get shells in anything. Until you get it right, crack eggs in a separate container, and let the eggs sit for a few minutes before dumping them it. The bits of shell will sink to the bottom and if you pour carefully, you can dump in the eggs without dumping in the bits of shell. I work in a bakery and crack a LOT of eggs and bits of shell are unavoidable sometimes, but they don't make it in the batter because of the careful pouring. HTH!

Oh, and not to make fun of you Carly, but that bleach thing had me giggling too... Reminded me of the rumer that white rice is bleached, and that black olives are dyed.

Last edited by soygurl; 01-31-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: code error
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseolegoat1 View Post
LOL, to funny!!
I have been raising animals for most of my life...got my first chickens at age 3!
Yes, different breeds of chicken lay different colors of eggs. Also depends on how they are raised too.
Some Examples:
Rhody Reds lay brown eggs,
White leghorns lay white eggs,
Aricauna chickens can lay pink, or green, or blue eggs, but will lay the same color for all of thier lives...they don't change color once they start laying.
Banty chickens are very small, and accordingly they lay very small eggs too!

Free range, chickens, allowed to run around on the ground, peck at bugs and seeds, get more exercize, tend to lay very hard shelled eggs. The yolks on these eggs will often be bright orange! They usually lay every 24 hours.....once in a while they take a day off...but not too often if they get what they need naturally. Also, they don't lay as well when it is freezing out, unless you supplement with extra fat, and a warm place to lay. You will have better laying birds if there is one rooster around...keeps em more productive!

very large conglomerate egg farms tend to cage their birds, feed them hormones to lay more eggs, and leave the lights on 24/7, and keep temperatures a constant around 70 degrees...this will cause the birds to lay an egg every 12 hours...and they usually burn out in a couple years, then get sold for soup! These forced into higher production will usually have much thinner shells! They often have very pale yellow yolks too. They break very easily. The birds are often given extra calcium in thier diets to help this problem, but calcium can be hard to digest and absorb too. Since white eggs sell better, the conglomerates usually use birds that lay white eggs.....white leghorns are popular breed for this.

Also very young birds will lay smaller eggs at first, and get larger as they get older. Very old birds will lay thinner shells on large eggs, as they age...they kinda get like old people where the bones get brittle and calcium has leached out over lifetime. Birds in thier prime lay the best hard shelled eggs.
The fresher the egg, the taller the yolk will stand up in the pan, and the white will not spread very far away from the yolk. The older the egg, the flatter it will be and spread out much farther in the pan.
So now you know more about eggs than you ever thought to ask!!!
Blessings,
Wiseolegoat1

Egg 101! LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Helpful info, Thanks!

"wiseoldgoat1" that screen name had me ROFL! Wise indeed, though!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

lmbo, I now know way more about eggs than I ever intended by starting this thread.

Just to update though, my egg cracking skills have vastly improved. doing one hard tap made a big difference.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeater View Post
lmbo, I now know way more about eggs than I ever intended by starting this thread.

Just to update though, my egg cracking skills have vastly improved. doing one hard tap made a big difference.
Yay! Glad it's going better for you now!
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

if a piece falls into your food, use a spoon to get the pieces out. It sorta gets attracted to the shell and its easy to get out.

LOL at the bleached eggs.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #20
wiseolegoat1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, actually in my own experience...the stray shell repells away from the metal spoon!
I would spend half my cookin time fishin out shells!!
It attracts back to its own shell....scoop the stray out with a half egg shell...with no loose edges....then kind of pour it back into your hand. the egg white will fall through fingers, but the stray shell should stick to your hand.

When straining egg yolks from whites...crack egg open, pour into your clean hand....the whites drop away very quickly through your fingers, but the yolk will stay in your hand....dump yolk in separate container, but leave whites container directly under your work space... you can go through a whole case of eggs in minutes this way!

I was an animal science major in college, and worked my way through college at a place that made poultry vaccines...kind of a mom and pop operation..we made vaccines, tested them with birds raised in strict quarantine conditions, then ate the test subjects after testing was completed....I learned a LOT while there!
wiseolegoat1 is offline   Reply With Quote